Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still watch Beauty YouTubers?

@tototwo 

Just curious as to how you feel about being influenced to buy beauty products on QVC

Honored Contributor

I still watch a few each week and subscribe to others and will watch them if the title is something that interests me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, and it's not just the beauty YouTubers who are a problem for me.

It's also the home decor, fashion, interior designer home tours, and all of the others who have transformed YouTube into an enormous retail storefront with the YouTubers paid handsomely for pretending to be merely describing products, decor, design, fashion, what have you, but who actually are there to sell certain things.

They profit from views, subscriptions, and also from the shopping links they list in the video descriptions (I saw one not long ago that had at least 65 retail affiliate links...  I came to my senses and stopped counting at 65... 😉🙃😃).

I saw a YouTube link removed on a post here on the Q Community, by one of the moderators, with the reason given that the video was a "sales pitch."

I think that's a good descriptor.

It's different from a shopping website or a commercial ad on tv, because it's not presented up-front as being that. 

Just like financially-compensated "influencers" who promote on social media sites, the fact that they are there to sell isn't openly disclosed.

We know if we visit the Q, or HSN, it's a site designed to convince us to spend our money. 

We know if it's a commercial ad on tv or streaming because they're required to disclose that fact. 

Not everyone knows it's a sales promotion on YouTube (or with compensated influencers who post on social media), and it's that lack of transparency that bothers me.

I know not everyone agrees with me -- we have different experiences and perspectives, and I hope we all enjoy our choices.  I just think it's good for us to stay informed.

I appreciate the thread, @Swedishmiss!

Have a lovely evening, everyone!🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm, QVC isn't an "influencer"- it's a retail store. It's sole purpose is to sell sell sell. I admit years ago I used to watch LG and Mally for their makeup tips and methods. I no longer watch QVC, but I still buy Mally primer elsewhere. Great stuff!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I watch sixty and me. Margaret gives make-up tips, however the channel isn't only devoted to beauty tips. It's kind of a support & friendship channel that helps women live thriving lives at age 60 and beyond. She talks about, lifestyle, housing, travel, fashion, etc.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Aren't TV commercial spokespeople and QVC spokespeople also being paid well for selling products? And I think every YouTuber that I watch tells you up front and or shows  an icon that indicates an ad.  This is just mostly a very anti YouTube group of ladies. And YouTube is just an extension of older advertising platforms but some people don't like change.

@monicakm  - You Tube is such a great place to learn about different products - not just beauty related.  I've never felt pressured to buy anything after watching a video.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I subscribe to 3 and watch when I am in the mood LOL!  I have skin disease issues that these ladies do not so they don't influence me to buy products.  I already read the ingredients and most things are not even considered for purchase.  Plus I realize I just don't use or need that much make up.  It takes me a long time to use up what I have besides my holy grail foundation.  

I am thinking all of these ladies have made their youtube channel their business so I take everything they say with a grain of salt!  Just like when I watch Q or HSN or any other TV commercial.  

I enjoy watching 2 dermatologists mostly....plus Bible teaching too.  When things have broken around here I will look for a how to fix blank and sure enough a handy man put up a great video...send to my husband and it gets fixed Woman LOL

I have never been on Tik Tok so do not know anything about it...looked at few Instagram long ago.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

THANK YOU!!!  And I can't tell you how many things DH has fixed because he's watched a YT video on the topic.  I don't feel pressured to buy anything either.  More and more skincare and makeup videos mention or have a notice of some kind that this video includes a sponsorship.  If I'm at the computer, I just use my mouse to slide right past it.  Now, I semi-recently discovered YT has advertisements but I've never seen those because I've always paid for YT as long as they've had "real" ads (not the embedded sponsorships).   I hope that made sense.  I'm talking about commercials that are off topic and the YTer is not endorsing it.

Regular Contributor

I have stopped. The accounts I followed had too many sponsored videos, affiliate links and many long commercials. I understand that it’s their job and wish them luck, but, I am no longer interested.
Valued Contributor

I was a YouTuber and also had a website. I received a lot of goodies for free. Knowing that many are easily influenced to give a good review, I rarely believe glowing reviews.  I use YT for a better view of the product or color swatches.