Honored Contributor

Re: Do you put moisturizer over serum?

In this order:

Essences-Serums-Moisturizer-Oils

If/when you add an oil (say Squalane), it goes on last to lock in the previous products.  An essence is a watery product that hydrates and allows your other products to sink in better.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with @Shanus about letting your products dry before adding the next one.  All the skincare gurus on YT, that I follow, say to apply them while they're still wet.  

Esteemed Contributor

For myself, I don't see the need for all four items: essence, serum, moisturizer and oil. If the serum is light, it is enough with that and a moisturizer. An essence is beneficial, but not always necessary. Maybe an oil, that depends on individual preference, though not something I use.

Note: if one's skin is extremely dry, all of these could help, but this would not be a routine that works for everyone. I think that several influencers only talk about these items because they make money off advertisements. That's why I don't follow many; IMO they're only saying this to make a profit. 

There are only a handful I trust, and only if it addresses my needs.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

There are only a handful I trust, and only if it addresses my needs.

Ditto and since I don't know the extent of the OPs needs, I was just letting her know what I use.  My face is extremely dry (but not the rest of my skin.  I don't understand that) and I benefit greatly from the products I've chosen to use.  If I don't, I don't re-buy it but overall, knowing what I've learned about skincare ingredients, I know pretty well know what works and what I don't need.  My complexion has never looked better.  My husband comments nearly every day how smooth and flawless (it's not flawless lol but looks like it with a skin tint) my complexion is.  I wish I knew in my 20s what I know now.  And I don't do Retin A.

The other day while looking in a 10x or higher mirror, I saw the beginnings of diagonal lines above my upper lip.  It's over 

25,196 Crying Emoji Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free ...

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do. In the morning I use a Vitamin C Serum and then my moisturizer. The key for my combo skin is a lightweight moisturizer, especially in the hot summer months!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV 

The other thing you can do is to first press in (or smooth in) the serum, and then moisten your hands a bit with a toner or even water, and then put your moisturizer on top.

I always apply everything on moistened skin, and then moisten in between whatever else I'm throwing on. Not only does it give you deeper penetration, but you end up using a lot less product.

Honored Contributor

Yes, but only at bed time.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

I do this too.  Maybe not every step (about 10 Smiley Surprised) but I'm able to pull my products down on my neck and chest and even backs of my hands.