Trusted Contributor

Do you put mascara on both sides of upper lashes...

My lashes are very blonde and light. I used to get them tinted, but now i can't find anyone who does it near me. I have a hard time getting my mascara brush to do upper side of top eyelashes, any tips ? Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you put mascara on both sides of upper lashes...

I think a dark brown mascara would work better for you (just a suggestion).  I believe Clinique offers a mascara that does bottom lashes and perhaps it may work for the upper top lashes.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@dogsx3 I do. I do a couple of coats on the bottom part of the upper lashes & then just roll it down the top side of the upper lashes once. Just to give the top side some color.

Then I brush through the bottom part of the lashes to smooth it all.

I like mascara!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good question for @Shanus   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

My lashes are very blonde and light. I used to get them tinted, but now i can't find anyone who does it near me. I have a hard time getting my mascara brush to do upper side of top eyelashes, any tips ? Thanks

@dogsx3   Most mascaras today are quite thick. If you apply tem on top of the lashes and also under the lash, it would tend to weigh them down and straighten them out. 

I find that curling the lashes and then placing the mascara wand at the very base of the lashes, almost touching the skin of the eyelid, wiggling the wand a few times sideways before pulling the wand upwards works well. It not only makes the root of the lashes look darker and thicker and therefore defines the eye, but avoids a lot of clumping.  

Honored Contributor

Always yes.  Have for years.

Respected Contributor

My lashes are very pale too.  Not thick either but I don't put mascara on the top of the lash, just the underside.  Seems to cover the entire lash to me.  I use the method @Shanus describes.  That works for me.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

Same as @Jk9.  If I don't wear mascara you can't tell I even have eyelashes.  I have never done the top of the upper lash; just the bottom and it has always been fine.  I feel the same as @Shanus , it would just weigh them down.

Respected Contributor

I have blond lashes, too, and I've tried a couple times to do the top side. It just doesn't work for me. I feel it drags down the curl I've gotten from my eyelash curler, plus I usually end up getting mascara on my eyelid. I gave up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What about trying one of those 'tubing' mascaras where the product envelopes each lash in a tube, 360' around each hair.