Frequent Contributor

Do you like crimped or beachy waved hair?

I'm in my 60s. I have very long bleached blonde hair. I don't want to cut it, but it hangs straight. Would it look wrong if I used a beach waver or a crimper? I've been watching youtube videos and it looks so cute. I know I'm not 20 anymore, but they didn't have these looks and tools when I was. Does anyone think I'm crazy?? :-)

Super Contributor

Re: Do you like crimped or beachy waved hair?

Do you mean true 1980s crimps, or some type of variation? If you mean Valley Girl 1985 crimps, then (jmo), I think that look is very dated and only worn by those hoping to achieve a throwback effect - such as costume parties, etc.

However, I do like beach waves and feel that they are appropriate for any age, and the look will probably continue to look fresh well into the future. It's a timeless look that is not associated with any specific period in time.

Esteemed Contributor

Crimped - not so much definitely reminds me of out dated valley girls (imo) I do like a beach wave look.
Super Contributor

Go for it if your hair is in good shape, beachy waves might soften your look too. Just stay away from overly distressed jeans, over-the-top crochet and fringey tops this season.

Lots of ladies are keeping their hair long these days! No reason to get the I Give Up Cut when you hit 60.

Esteemed Contributor

I love beachy waves. I'm not a fan of crimped, but it you like it, then go for it!

I find that for myself I look younger (and feel more like myself) if I do what I like. There's no need to follow pre-prescribed, one-size-fits-all "rules". We're all individuals with different looks, different styles, and different preferences.

I also think that beachy waves can be natural-looking and attractive on women of any age. So no, you're not crazy!

Esteemed Contributor

I like beachy waves.
Frequent Contributor

On Walmart's website, they have a waver and a crimper made by Bed Head. There are very short demos of each. The way the girls does the crimper, she does just a few pieces mixed in with her straight hair. It looks really cute. I was thinking that would be very fast to do, (instead of the whole head), and still look cute. If anyone wants to watch it for me, and then add your opinion, that would be nice. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Beachy waves -bet it will be beautiful! Good for you! I cut my hair short - it was really long and got comments about long hair dating older women. But now I want my long hair back. Lots of times I just wore it in a braid.

Honored Contributor

This looks okay.

This, not so much-

Super Contributor

I agree with Lola. Thanks for the pics!