Contributor

Re: Do you get regular Facials?

I used to get regular facials at salons when I was in my 40's. I decided that I didn't want to continue spending the money because I could get the same results on my own at home. Fast forward 15 years and I have been having micro needling done at a medical spa. I am on maintenance now and have the treatments quarterly, with facials that include medical strength peels during the two months in between. I am VERY happy with my skin now and receive compliments often. The spa personnel are not pushy about the products that they carry (Revision and Obaji) and I am happy with my Perricone and Isomers.

Honored Contributor

I find the PTR peel pads or regular exfoliation to be best for my skin.

Mine isn't what I'd call sensitive at all, but I've had 3 facials in my life, and my skin broke out all 3 times afterwards .... never again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

A few years ago, I was getting them every few months because my daughter was working at a combination salon/spa so it was a good gift idea. Part of the experience was that the aesthetician would do a foot mask and wrap them in hot towels. She also did incredible hand, arm, shoulder and neck massage. And when she did the facial massage she had me so relaxed that I'd doze off. Just thinking the whole thing right now makes me want to go for one again! If you're in the market for new skincare, listen to what the aesthetician has to say, but you are under no obligation to purchase anything. The woman I saw is partial to Eminence products. I bought some things to try, but didn't like them enough to stick with the plan. Currently I am using a dermafoliant from Eminence, though, and I like it.

I think many get a commission on lines they sell which, for me, diminishes their credibility. That is my biggest complaint about the service, the product up sell. That and someone trying to sell me products who doesn't know her ingredients.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm going for a spa facial in a couple of days while on vacation. I've only had 2. I am 61, but I do daily facials myself. It really makes a difference! It gets the circulation going, drains lymph and you just look great.

Every now and then it's nice to see what others do and perhaps learn some new techniques to try to simulate yourself.

I'm not familiar with Image products.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe in facials. I have seen enlarged pores, skin breakouts and too much redness from facials. With the advances in skin care in the past 10 years with mild exfoliating products, etc., for most...I see no need for facials.

One of my best friends gets them monthly, and her skin looks worse, IMO.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 BellaCarro said:
On 3/29/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

A few years ago, I was getting them every few months because my daughter was working at a combination salon/spa so it was a good gift idea. Part of the experience was that the aesthetician would do a foot mask and wrap them in hot towels. She also did incredible hand, arm, shoulder and neck massage. And when she did the facial massage she had me so relaxed that I'd doze off. Just thinking the whole thing right now makes me want to go for one again! If you're in the market for new skincare, listen to what the aesthetician has to say, but you are under no obligation to purchase anything. The woman I saw is partial to Eminence products. I bought some things to try, but didn't like them enough to stick with the plan. Currently I am using a dermafoliant from Eminence, though, and I like it.

I think many get a commission on lines they sell which, for me, diminishes their credibility. That is my biggest complaint about the service, the product up sell. That and someone trying to sell me products who doesn't know her ingredients.

ITA

Honored Contributor

PTR or Dennis Gross peel pads are all I need as far as exfoliation. I do have a Clarins exfoliating cleanser I occasionally use too.

Super Contributor

I treat myself to "a day at the spa" once a month ... sometimes a mani/pedi, sometimes a facial, sometimes a massage, sometimes a body wrap ... I just love the spa experience ...

I have also done the 3-day spa experience at Nemacolin Woodlands, The Mist at Niagara Falls (no longer there), and at Bally's in Atlantic City ...

My first spa experience was at the Elizabeth Arden Red Door at Kaufmann's in Pittsburgh PA ... that got me hooked for life ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Valued Contributor

I really appreciate all the insight and information! Very good points to take into consideration! I guess like anything else, a bit of trial and error to see what works best! Thanks again, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply!

Esteemed Contributor

I have terrible reactions to peels and microdermabrasion when done at home or at a salon...so my dermatologist told me that people with mature skin should be very cautious using such products. I have facials done at Korean facilities; they use natural botanicals and I seem to do ok and I love the results