Respected Contributor

Re: Do you feel prettier if you have cosmetics on that are top dollar?

On 7/22/2014 OCGurl said: I spend what I need to to purchase the cosmetics I am happy with. My lipstick is .99c WetnWild but my Brow Fix is $30. So it's not the cost, it's the product.

Wet n Wild is my go to, stick in my pocket, and run out the door. It performs well for me. And the price is right! Almost free! LOL

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

Money doesn't count so much unless it can buy a color I can't find for less somewhere else. Fortunately, it really isn't that much more money to buy one good lipstick and use it up completely than it is to buy four or five in an attempt to get just the right color. I just don't see enough difference on me or my friends to go chasing after the newest, slightly different shades of cosmetics. But right and you can buy very rarely.

Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 7/23/2014 moonstone dunes said:

No. The "man in my life" gives me the most g0rge0us, beautiful gl0w... {#emotions_dlg.devil2} you should try it

Someone named a blush after that, I think.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 millieshops said:

Money doesn't count so much unless it can buy a color I can't find for less somewhere else. Fortunately, it really isn't that much more money to buy one good lipstick and use it up completely than it is to buy four or five in an attempt to get just the right color. I just don't see enough difference on me or my friends to go chasing after the newest, slightly different shades of cosmetics. But right and you can buy very rarely.

Sometimes, it's so hard finding that perfect color, be it drugstore or department store.

Super Contributor

All I want is good quality and good color for my complexion. The less money I have to spend the happier I am. I really just want to have pretty skin, that for many years took for granted. If I had my peaches and cream complexion I once had, I wouldn't wear makeup, except for special occasions.

Honored Contributor

No I don't feel that way Smiley Happy I just get what is affordable to me Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I don't care about the brand as long as it does what I want it to do....I buy cosmetics from Neimans, Walmart, and everywhere in-between. Nobody knows what brand you have on your face unless you tell them; all that matters is how it looks.

Respected Contributor

On 7/23/2014 HappyDaze said:

No, I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing- what makes me feel the best is having great looking skin and hair and staying in shape, the rest is gravy. Smiley Happy

I do want to say that I don't really have very much drugstore products, mainly because the majority test on animals. Out of the few drugstore things I have, they are from Physicians formula and only one out of the three items I actually like.

No, the "majority of drugstore products" do not test on animals, any more than the "majority" of high-end department store products do.

There are plenty of drugstore cosmetics that do not test on animals--Jane, Wet&Wild, Bonne Bell, Burt's Bees, got2B, Freeman (I like their scrubs).....and there are plenty of departments store products that do--JoMalone, La Mer, MAC, Smashbox, Bobbi Brown...and almost every designer-based company still does.

Generalities are seldom true, and research is a good thing.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 lovesrecess said:

I don't care about the brand as long as it does what I want it to do....I buy cosmetics from Neimans, Walmart, and everywhere in-between. Nobody knows what brand you have on your face unless you tell them; all that matters is how it looks.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Exactly!

Trusted Contributor

I don't find it strange that the man in your life prefers you to not wear makeup. It's always been that way with my dh, too - it's all "goop" to him, and most men I know. DH especially dislikes lipstick or gloss when kissing.

No, I don't feel prettier with over-priced cosmetics. I frankly feel foolish and guilty when wasting money on them. Maybe you are trying to overcompensate for something, OP. If so, you will be happier by figuring out what that is and making peace with your natural self. Self-worth should not be so directly related to the superficial anyway. That's a very slippery slope. Cosmetics are simply enhancements. By any price, they don't define us, or our beauty.