Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you do your eyes first or foundation first?

I do my foundation first then my brows & eye make up.

Respected Contributor

I always apply foundation first.  Then the eyebrows, eyeshadow, liner, mascara, blush, and lipstick.  Works for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Many makeup artists will start a makeup with foundation first applying around the eyes.  The theory is a lot of people don't need as much concealer as they think they do, and the foundation alone can erase most around the eye darkness.  I'm not a pro, but after applying foundation I generally only use concealer in the inner corner.  Under my eyes only gets a coat of concealer if the area is looking exceptionally tired and dark.  I also will use concealer for special occasion makeup where there will be plenty of photos and videos shot.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

If you apply mascara and eyeliner before foundation, you can't get product under your eyes without smudging and destroying the eye make-up. 

Exactly!!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I do mascara first because of the mess I make.  Clean it up and then foundation and the rest.

Trusted Contributor

I think bottom line is try different orders of application and do what works best for you. I've spent most of my life doing eyes last. But if I remember I now often do eye shadow primer and eyshadow either first or right after primer/foundation. I tend to get eye shadow too far down on the outer edge and it's easier to fix that way (also easier to clean up any fall out below eyes). I do brows, liner and mascara after foundation, concealor, setting powder in the eye area. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always do my foundation first as I need to even out my skin tone and cover dark circles.

Honored Contributor

I've always done my eyes first. If any of my shadow dust falls on my cheeks, I can easily wipe it off without ruining my foundation/blush. Makes sense doesn't it. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't think you are doing it wrong.  I do it the way you do. I am 60 and like you I start with moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, brows, contouring...in that order and then I do the eyes/mascara.  Last but not least the blush. Then I take a good final look over and if necessary critique. This way has always worked the best for me.

I honestly don't think there is a right or wrong way in the order of how to do it. I think it is a personal preference in what you like/are comfortable with in how you do it and what works for you..Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Foundation first...Here's my am beauty order:

1. SPF moisturizer

2. Style Hair

3. Primer followed by CC cream or foundation

4. Eye highlighter/concealer

5. Eye makeup

6. Face cocealer

7. Blush

8. Setting powder

9. Lips