Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do your eyes first or foundation first?

Foundation first always, eyes and lips last.

Deb

Honored Contributor

First I apply the primers to the eye areas and then the face.

I then do all the eye makeup including any brow fill in.
I then do the foundation (let dry) and then blow dry my hair at that point -- its short so it dries quickly.

I then apply the blush -- usually use powder blush so I want the liquid foundation to be completely dry before applying the blush.

Finally do my lips and I am out the door.

Any moisturizers have been applied to my face prior the primers (as well as any sunscreens).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Foundation first (including eyelids)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I think I have been doing this wrong all my life. I watched a makeup video and he did all the eye makeup and then the foundation & blush. I always do foundation, brows, eyes and lastly blush. Of course the model was a young girl and didn't need all the under eye concealer and magical things I do which would be hard to with eye makeup already on.

Am I doing this backwards?  Just curious.

Eyes first?     What a very odd thing to do!

Back when I used a liquid foundation, it was moisturizer, foundation and any "cream" products. Then I would set the makeup with translucent powder to set the makeup.   Then I would do the powdered makeup ... eye shadows,  powder blush, etc.   

These days I use a mineral powder foundation, but the eyes and lips are always last.   Always.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps the eyes are done first so that any eyeshadow powder that falls out onto the cheeks can be brushed away (even easier if a primer is applied to the face first). If there is eyeshadow fallout, then if you go to brush the excess off your upper cheeks, it may end up smearing and then you will have to use makeup remover to remove those 'smears'.

Trusted Contributor

OK I am not crazy. I agree. They call it foundation for a reason. Thanks ladies!
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Perhaps the eyes are done first so that any eyeshadow powder that falls out onto the cheeks can be brushed away (even easier if a primer is applied to the face first). If there is eyeshadow fallout, then if you go to brush the excess off your upper cheeks, it may end up smearing and then you will have to use makeup remover to remove those 'smears'.

@JustJazzmom

If eyeshadow powder is falling onto the cheeks, then there is WAY too much powder on the brush or applicator.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Thank you for pointing out the obvious! Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

This burning question MUST be answered.

I used to do foundation first, however, now I do eyes first because then I don't have to worry about eyeshadow, etc., falling onto my face and having to be repaired. It's much easier to do eyes first, IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

I always do my eyes at the end of the routine just before applying setting powder.  I sometimes vary eyeliner techniques and would want the foundation in place before extending the eyeliner to make something like a cat eye or winged tip.  I can't recall ever messing up my foundation with eyeshadow.