Trusted Contributor

Do you do your eyes first or foundation first?

I think I have been doing this wrong all my life. I watched a makeup video and he did all the eye makeup and then the foundation & blush. I always do foundation, brows, eyes and lastly blush. Of course the model was a young girl and didn't need all the under eye concealer and magical things I do which would be hard to with eye makeup already on.

Am I doing this backwards?  Just curious.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do your eyes first or foundation first?

IMO, the person in the video was doing it backwards.  I don't take online videos that seriously.  They are usually focused on a specific task, so they tend to leave out a lot and especially do things out of order.   

Honored Contributor

I had my makeup done for an occasion last weekend and she did eyes first, then foundation/concealor

Super Contributor

I do eyes first, then facial makeup & blush. Otherwise, your hand is rubbing on your face messing up foundation.

Respected Contributor

If you apply mascara and eyeliner before foundation, you can't get product under your eyes without smudging and destroying the eye make-up. 

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I think I have been doing this wrong all my life. I watched a makeup video and he did all the eye makeup and then the foundation & blush. I always do foundation, brows, eyes and lastly blush. Of course the model was a young girl and didn't need all the under eye concealer and magical things I do which would be hard to with eye makeup already on.

Am I doing this backwards?  Just curious.

It's called foundation for a reason.  I prefer to have my "canvas" covered before I apply eye, cheek and lip "paint."  I imagine some might prefer to do their eyes first so they don't end up with shadow on their cheeks, smeared liner or stray dots of mascara, but even when I get sloppy with eye makeup application, I can still remove it without disrupting my layer of CC cream.  No, I'll keep putting on the "base" first.

Try putting on your eye makeup first and see if you like it.  For me, it's illogical so I'll stick with my old habit.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Primer, foundation, cream blush first.  Half of the time I don't even wear eye makeup.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

just bee, I totally agree.

Regular Contributor

I tried doing eye makeup first when i was younger and needed minimal concealer. What i found was that i tended to use more eye makeup when my base wasnt done because you look in the mirror and dont think you look to good!Lol Once my base,  concealer and eyebrows our done i'm usually  satisfied with a swipe of cream shadow, LG eyerimz for liner and mascara. Using cream shadows and wet liner reduces any fallout so I generally have no clean up.

Honored Contributor

Foundation first and can't imagine doing eyes first.  I curl my lashes first, apply any serums and creams,  primer then foundation.  After that I do my eyes.  Like someone else stated without foundation on it would be hard to create a good eye look as it would seem you could overdo eye makeup since your face is bare.  I do my brows last and if you do those first you could get them ruined by the foundation.  To me it does't make any sense to do eyes first.  I would think most do foundation first but whatever works for anyone is the right way for them.