Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do your eyes first or foundation first?

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@KCDiva wrote:

I think I have been doing this wrong all my life. I watched a makeup video and he did all the eye makeup and then the foundation & blush. I always do foundation, brows, eyes and lastly blush. Of course the model was a young girl and didn't need all the under eye concealer and magical things I do which would be hard to with eye makeup already on.

Am I doing this backwards?  Just curious.

It's called foundation for a reason.  I prefer to have my "canvas" covered before I apply eye, cheek and lip "paint."  I imagine some might prefer to do their eyes first so they don't end up with shadow on their cheeks, smeared liner or stray dots of mascara, but even when I get sloppy with eye makeup application, I can still remove it without disrupting my layer of CC cream.  No, I'll keep putting on the "base" first.

Try putting on your eye makeup first and see if you like it.  For me, it's illogical so I'll stick with my old habit.

I agree with you.  That's exactly what I was going to say about foundation.  I do foundation first, then eyeshadow, then eyeliner, then blush, then mascara and lips last.

Occasional Contributor

It depends...if I just need a very minimal look, I may just do a liner, mascara, spot conceal, blush and powder...in that order.  Usually if I am applying a primer, I will do my eyes first to make sure the primer has fully absorbed.  And sometimes I will do my foundation first.  I really don't think there is a right or wrong. 

Respected Contributor

I always do undereye concealor, foundation, eyes.  If I get fallout of any kind, I just deal with it.

Respected Contributor

I do foundation first.......UNLESS I'm doing a smokey eye, in which case I do it first, so I can clean up any fall-out before foundation and concealer application. 

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

I do foundation first.......UNLESS I'm doing a smokey eye, in which case I do it first, so I can clean up any fall-out before foundation and concealer application. 

Here are a couple subtle ideas that are quite lovely, @FUTURE:

Smoke gets in your eyes

More smoke

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Are those people auditioning for the Svengoolie role on ME TV? Woman LOL

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

Here are a couple subtle ideas that are quite lovely, @FUTURE:

Smoke gets in your eyes

More smoke

So funny that you posted these @suzyQ3.  I do the bottom look ALL the time........lol!!!! Obviously kidding!! You crack me up! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't even do my eyes and foundation in the same room! lol

I apply skincare & eye makeup while seated at my makeup vanity. Then I put my contacts in & apply my foundation, etc. while standing in front of the mirror in my bathroom. I've done it this way as long as I can remember. I can't see to put my eye makeup on if I have my contacts in & I can't see to apply foundation without them.

Honored Contributor

There really isn't one right way to do it. As with many things, whatever works.

Regular Contributor

I do eyes first because I "reinvent the wheel" with my eye makeup pretty much every time I apply. I'm always trying something new. If I don't like the way it turns out, I just wash my face and start over.