Super Contributor

Re: Do you discard lipstick after a cold?

No.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes

Contributor

Yes! Thank goodness not many colds/flu per year

Respected Contributor

No, I've never even considered throwing away lipsticks/glosses/balms after a cold. I've never read that coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties. I wouldn't want to rely on it for disinfecting anything.

A. Walker's post should put all fears to rest on the subject.

~Enough is enough~
Contributor

The alcohol wipes are a good idea, too, thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Never. I do change the head on my Vionic toothbrush though. Just because it makes me feel better. There is really no logic to it.

Respected Contributor

Pour some peroxide in a juice glass and dip it in that and let it dry. Then put your toothbrush in the glass and soak it for a while and then air dry. You'll be fine.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear lipstick when I'm sick, but I use lip balm even more frequently when I'm sick. I either wipe it with alcohol or toss it when I feel better, it depends on how much is left and how much I liked it.

Recently I've switched to Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask, which is in a squeeze tube that you don't touch to your mouth, you apply it with a finger. As long as my hands are clean before I use it, I don't worry about it.

Contributor

I don't throw out my lipsticks but I do following procedure to them.

I worked for Clinique, Lancome and Clarins. We were taught to take the lipstick bullet, wipe it across tissue until it was flat. Then we would spray the bullet with alcohol.

After you spray with alcohol wipe the lipstick bullet across the tissue again. By doing so you bring the moisturizers back to the surface again.

Trusted Contributor

No, for regular lipstick. I clean it with alcohol and slice the tip off with a knife. With lip gloss and lip cosmetics with a brush that goes into the tube, I definitely throw them away.