Contributor

Do you discard lipstick after a cold?

I have a cold but am still applying lipstick daily. Just wondering if you discard yours after a bout with a cold? I am wondering if I am contaminating it. It's a fairly pricy gloss and don't want to waste it but at the same time I don't want to re-infect myself down the road. I will throw away my toothbrush.Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you discard lipstick after a cold?

No.....but now you have me wondering....
Honored Contributor

I can't possibly wear lipstick when I have a cold.......but I also have really bad nasal allergies, and hardly ever wear lipstick anyway.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I haven't because of a cold. I continue to use and there is no effect on me. I do trash all of my makeup every six months.

Contributor

No, but I do clean it off really well with a alcohol pad and also the out side and inside of the tube. I have always done this and never had a problem. I pay to much for lipstick to throw it out.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do toss any lipstick or lip balm I have used just prior to my illness.
Honored Contributor

No, I do not. If you're concerned, do as GaGa suggested and wipe off the lipstick.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I spray rubbing alcohol on the lippie and rub down the packing, including my compact and pencils in my bag. Throw out a $50 Tom Ford lipstick just because I had a cold....never!

Honored Contributor

I don't often get colds, but I would wipe it clean with a tissue after each use. Actually, I recall seeing a segment on LWN (Mirror Mirror or Deals) about applying something (either lemon, or vodka, or vinegar?) to the lipsticks and brushes, makeup. But, don't recall which. I'm guessing it was vodka. But, actually, cleaning lipstick with coconut oil (after tissuing off) might be a good idea, because it's anti microbial, anti fungal, anti bacterial. Yes!! I'd use coconut oil. Less of a chance of ruining the lipstick's qualities. ...........EDITED to include alcohol, as others have stated below.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

no, i dont toss any lip products after i have had a cold (which i rarely get anyways).

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein