Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you color your own hair?

I had my hair colored professionally at an expensive salon for many years. Then I had a serious accident, and was pretty much housebound for an extended period of time. So I started coloring my hair at home, and was surprised at how easy it was!

The accident was years ago, and I haven't had my hair colored professionally since. I love being able to do it on my own time on my schedule, whenever I feel like it. It's easy, takes just minutes, and of course I'm saving a lot of money.

I have a lot of grey (which I never see, but I know it's there!), and I really like Perfect Ten. L'Oreal products are good too. A lot of products that are specifically for covering grey did not work well for me, so I think you may need some trial and error to find something that you like.

Valued Contributor

I colored my hair for years. It's very easy. Recently, I switched over to henna.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

No, I would not color my own hair.

Walking around a mall (or wherever else in public) you can very easily spot the women who color their own hair ..... and, IMO, you get what you pay for. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Well, that's a generalization.

I am not especially talented with anything having to do with hair, but I've been to salons to have my hair cut and the stylists there always think my hair is professionally colored. This has happened to me in several salons all over the country.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who colors her own hair and gets great-looking results!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to color my own hair and many of my friends still do. The products today are so good that it it impossible to tell who does their own. The hardest part is getting the best color for your coloring and your age. Today's hair color does not look like the shoe polish looks from ages ago. Almost any brand will do a good job, keep it on a little longer for stubborn grays.

Super Contributor

Well I got lazy and only passed a straightening iron through my hair instead of putting rollers in. Here is the before and after. My point in posting these pics is to show that you can get good color out of a $10 box. Another point I'd like to make are those stupid befores and afters on air. I wish I had waited 'til my hair really dried in pic #1 to show you the frizzball it really is. Then you see how smooth and straight it is in pic #2. It has nothing to do with the type of shampoo one uses or hair appliance. I do it all on the cheap.

(Thanks MarielG and twopeas!)

Esteemed Contributor

I admire people who have the skill and confidence to color their own hair. I was clueless the first time, mid 40ish, I colored my hair. My natural hair color is caramel - medium brown with slight red tint. I purchased a color I liked, clueless about what ash meant. What it meant was my hair turned green! The salon helped me work through the color issue and I've gone to the salon ever since. With more knowledge, I bet I could do it myself and have considered it. It sure would cost less!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Justina Rae -- love your color!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

Yes I do. I stopped having my hair done in a salon when I paid an exorbitant amount of money and my hair came out awful with clear differences of color around the hair line and part. I had to go back multiple times to get it right. I do it myself at home and get a better result. My hair is at least 50% resistant gray. I colored it today and used a brand I had not used before - John Freida's Foam Hair Color. This was interesting in that you mix the two ingredients, gently tip the bottle over 5 times, then squeeze the bottle and it produces a foam as it is released from the bottle. It was very easy to use and was not messy at all for me. And I felt it rinsed out easier and cleaner than any hair color I've ever used. The color came out pretty good as many colors pull really dark on my hair. I won't be able to say anything about staying power for a while now. But as of right now, I'd buy this brand again.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Esteemed Contributor

I have dark blonde hair and get light blonde highlights done professionally. Lately I've had a few mishaps at the salon--uneven color, no roots done, even turned blue--so I've been tempted to try something myself, but I figure if the trained professionals can mess it up so easily, I'm scared to see what I might do to it!
Trusted Contributor

On 3/30/2015 NYC Susan said:
On 3/30/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

No, I would not color my own hair.

Walking around a mall (or wherever else in public) you can very easily spot the women who color their own hair ..... and, IMO, you get what you pay for. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Well, that's a generalization.

I am not especially talented with anything having to do with hair, but I've been to salons to have my hair cut and the stylists there always think my hair is professionally colored. This has happened to me in several salons all over the country.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who colors her own hair and gets great-looking results!

I agree with you. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a disaster at a very well known salon in the DC suburbs where my hair had a noticeable difference in color on hair about 1 and 1/2 inches wide around my hair line and part. Plus I'm now remembering one time where my hair turned out a deep purple. It was really noticeable in the sun, LOL. And I remember a time when my Mom's hair turned green - all done in a salon. The worst thing I've had happen at home when I dye my hair is that the color pulls too dark. Oh and the one and only time I tried Olia and the bottle kept slipping out of my hands due to the awful shape of it and got dye all over my bathroom countertops and floors. Ugh! I think I wrote one of the first reviews on MUA and it wasn't a good one, LOL.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!