Respected Contributor

Re: Do you color your own hair?

I have never colored my own hair.

Barring some extenuating circumstance, I don't ever intend to!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Justina rae said:

Here is a pic of my hair which is down to the middle of my back. Please keep in mind it is freshly washed and in the process of air drying so it's quite messy. Not dry yet. It is naturally wavy/frizzy. I posted it this way so that you can see the highlights. Once I comb out and style my hair the highlights blend in and are not as discreet as in this pic.

My natural hair color is light brown. I have been using L'Oreal's Natural Match Dark Blond for many years. Sadly they have discontinued this product and I have to call them to find out what their next best similar product is today. I have been using Clairol Frost & Tip highlighting on top of it. The color in this pic is 12 weeks out so I'm due. I only re-color the roots and put in just a few highlights to break it up. I have only used the L'Oreal all over my head on the initial coloring which was years ago. Since then I have only done the roots as I don't want a build-up of color.

I love the color and think it looks very natural. I'll try to post the finished product after I style my hair.

photo Hair2003.30.1520003_zpstix13dwg.jpg

Your hair is gorgeous. Good job. I have hair very much like yours, but red/blonde. I have to air dry as well. Found out after many years that it works best that way.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

On 3/30/2015 BornAgain said:

I color and cut my own hair.

Same here, always have, even before I became a licensed cosmetologist.

Valued Contributor

I use to color my own hair.I have medium brown hair and was coloring Light Blonde. I was doing a double process..1st Lightening my dark roots then putting in a Toner...It was crazy and it never really looked that good. I had so many different colors.I finally threw in the towel and I have never looked back. I go every 4 or 5 weeks and sometimes she does Highlights too. It's nice to just go and have someone do it professionally. I have had the same Hairdresser for over 20yrs now and she is very reasonable..She charges me $70 for the double process and a blow out...If she cuts my Hair she'll add an additional $15...With those prices it doesn't make sense for me to do it myself!

Honored Contributor

It got gray all by itself.

Respected Contributor

Been coloring my own hair for decades. I'm nearly 81. Did it on Saturday and like it just fine. My natural color was medium brown. I use Loreal's Excellence #7 which does a good job of covering gray.

Super Contributor

I also color my own hair. I have for over 10 years. So much more cost effective and I can do it on my own schedule. I use L'Oreal Preference Excellence for stubborn greys from Sally's. I am very happy with it. My hairdresser has even commented that my color looks good. It might not be perfectly even but I simply can't afford the salon. My hair grows like a weed and I'm 80% grey. Turned grey very prematurely and am not ready to give up color.

Honored Contributor

As a natural redhead, my goal is to keep my hair as close to my true color as possible. I am not willing to risk any type of disaster with my hair, so I will gladly continue paying my stylist to keep doing this for me. She mixes together quite a formula, but my color is always the same, and most people don't know I need help to stay red.
Super Contributor

I colored my own hair med brown for years. Plus my daughter would give me blonde highlights every few months. It looked good but I finally got to the point where it was growing in so fast that I no longer wanted to cover the gray. It didn't take long for it all to grow out and I've had salt and pepper hair for a year now and I feel FREE!! I do not miss all the chemicals and the coloring and the disappointment of seeing new gray growth at my temples in two weeks. I wish I stopped coloring it years ago!!

Respected Contributor

I stopped dyeing my hair a year ago i use loreal root touch up and i leave it a little longer than directed then shampoo