Contributor

Re: Do you color your own hair?

On 4/1/2015 feline groovy said:
On 4/1/2015 TasMss said: I have been coloring my hair myself for the past 2 years. I use Demi-Permanent hair color because I have some gray at the top of my head and over my ears. I use Age Beautiful from Sally's Beauty Supply. I mix 2 colors together with the developer for demi-permanent color. It's working out great for me. And like someone else said, I can do it on my own time and as soon as I need it. I always stock up on it when it's on sale too (and is pretty inexpensive! )

I do the same with demi or semi permanent color. I recently read that mixing two colors - especially in the same color or shade range (I do a medium ash brown and dark ash brown) - gives you the most natural results.

Also read great reviews re: "Age Beautiful". 8)

feline groovy, I did not know that about mixing colors for natural look. Thanks for the tip!
Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 funtoshop said:
On 4/1/2015 feline groovy said:
On 4/1/2015 TasMss said: I have been coloring my hair myself for the past 2 years. I use Demi-Permanent hair color because I have some gray at the top of my head and over my ears. I use Age Beautiful from Sally's Beauty Supply. I mix 2 colors together with the developer for demi-permanent color. It's working out great for me. And like someone else said, I can do it on my own time and as soon as I need it. I always stock up on it when it's on sale too (and is pretty inexpensive! )

I do the same with demi or semi permanent color. I recently read that mixing two colors - especially in the same color or shade range (I do a medium ash brown and dark ash brown) - gives you the most natural results.

Also read great reviews re: "Age Beautiful". 8)

feline groovy, I did not know that about mixing colors for natural look. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, fun babe! 8-)

Read about it and thought "duh", LOL. Makes sense.

Regular Contributor

Naturtint Ammonia free hair color I recently discovered at Sprouts. I was so impressed because my hair was so shiny after. After a month I am beginning to see my gray again but I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days. I will continue to purchase but its so hard to find my shade it is always sold out.

Frequent Contributor

I tried haircolors on my own but not good for my hair my hair turned sort of green that last time. Have it done prodessionally

Regular Contributor

No....I always go to a salon...I find box color to be very flat and for me...it equates to you get what you pay for, but if you're happy with your boxed color...good for you!
Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Karotsy said:

Naturtint Ammonia free hair color I recently discovered at Sprouts. I was so impressed because my hair was so shiny after. After a month I am beginning to see my gray again but I only wash my hair every 3 to 4 days. I will continue to purchase but its so hard to find my shade it is always sold out.

Since you know your shade, why not get it online?

Just Google it, and you'll see online and B&M vendors.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I color my own hair and have done so for nearly 20 years. My hair has become gray resistant so it doesn't hold on to color at the roots very well no matter what brand I use, thus I do a root touchup weekly. Yes, it's weekly. I don't pull the color through to the ends as I don't need it.

Here are my tips: Wear a bathrobe or something that is easy to get in and out of as I rinse off the color in the shower, not a sink. Buy a box of disposable non latex gloves as a box of hair color at the store only comes with one pair. Go to Sally Beauty and buy hair coloring tools like a calibrated bottle, and a bowl and application brush. If you buy hair color at Sally, go lighter then the box shows as they tend to develop darker.

I do like Nice n Easy in brown shades of 118A and 118 as I mix the two shades. If you are a first time hair coloring at home, be sure to buy an extra box of color just in case you need it. I recently changed color and went back to Clairol Professional 5NN in the tube but the color is too light and too red at the roots, so I will have to mix it with 4NN to get a darker shade.

Watch some youtube videos as there are tutorials there on how to color your hair at home so you can get an idea of what to do.

Super Contributor

I'm considering starting coloring again . I'll start with a temp color . Question : Do the root touch up colors come in kits ? Or do I have to buy a regular box & use a small amount , tossing out the remainder ? Also , how often do the roots have to be re-colored ? Every 2 weeks I suppose ? Thank you for answers ahead of time !
Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 blueskies said: I'm considering starting coloring again . I'll start with a temp color . Question : Do the root touch up colors come in kits ? Or do I have to buy a regular box & use a small amount , tossing out the remainder ? Also , how often do the roots have to be re-colored ? Every 2 weeks I suppose ? Thank you for answers ahead of time !

Question : Do the root touch up colors come in kits ? Or do I have to buy a regular box & use a small amount , tossing out the remainder ?

Yep, they come in kits. "Clairol Root Touch Up" is excellent, and has been very highly-rated for years now.

Also , how often do the roots have to be re-colored ? Every 2 weeks I suppose ?

Usually, midway between colorings. For example, touch up your roots every 3 weeks if you do your regular color every 6 weeks.

Note: if you'll be using demi or semi -permanent color, it's recommended that you don't use a touch-up kit, as the dye in it is permanent color. "Roux Tween Time Hair Crayon" is great; just wet/moisten it and apply.

Super Contributor

On 4/11/2015 feline groovy said:
On 4/10/2015 blueskies said: I'm considering starting coloring again . I'll start with a temp color . Question : Do the root touch up colors come in kits ? Or do I have to buy a regular box & use a small amount , tossing out the remainder ? Also , how often do the roots have to be re-colored ? Every 2 weeks I suppose ? Thank you for answers ahead of time !

Question : Do the root touch up colors come in kits ? Or do I have to buy a regular box & use a small amount , tossing out the remainder ?

Yep, they come in kits. "Clairol Root Touch Up" is excellent, and has been very highly-rated for years now.

Also , how often do the roots have to be re-colored ? Every 2 weeks I suppose ?

Usually, midway between colorings. For example, touch up your roots every 3 weeks if you do your regular color every 6 weeks.

Note: if you'll be using demi or semi -permanent color, it's recommended that you don't use a touch-up kit, as the dye in it is permanent color. "Roux Tween Time Hair Crayon" is great; just wet/moisten it and apply.

Thanks very much for the information !