Super Contributor

Re: Do you color your own hair?

I color and cut my own hair.

Frequent Contributor

I use to color my own hair, when I was younger, but I totally damaged it, trying to find a shade that I loved. Never happened. Just recently I tried Loreal Feria, and of course, it turned out a completely different shade, than what was on the box. I was going for ash blond, and ended up strawberry blond. The shade is pretty but it clashes with my skin-tone. So, now I have to go to the salon, or it will bug me to no end.

Now, I remember why I stopped trying to color my own hair, but others seem to have a lot of luck with it. It sounds like you are not satisfied with the job your salon does, so let them know or maybe try and find another salon. I do think it's easier to cover gray when you have darker hair, but if you are trying to cover gray with highlights, definitely try and get some professional advice.

Honored Contributor

Yes, for about 20 years now. I like L'Oreal Excellence for covering grays. Right now I have Garnier Olia in my hair and it is the best gray coverage I've had in years, but I can't recommend it because the color itself is a disaster. I went for Light Intense Auburn and it came out burgundy red instead of auburn. It also went on patchy, which I've not had happen before. In some places, it was straight up Kool-Aid red. (luckily I've been able to hide those places.) After 4 weeks, it's finally a shade I don't hate, but it's still patchy and several shades darker than what I expected from the box. And it's sticking to my grays like nothing I've ever used before. So sad, because I'll never risk using Garnier Olia again.

This weekend I'm using Color Oops to remove it and starting over with my old standard, L'Oreal Excellence.

Honored Contributor

I only do root touchups. My gray hair is around my hairline & my part of course. I use Ion hair color & developer from Sally Beauty. If you are going to color yourself just remember to go 1-2 shades lighter then the color on the box. I have what I call light brown hair. I use medium blonde color to achieve the light brown color. I have been using Wen & Chaz it will bring out all these natural colors in your hair. I asked my girlfriend if my hair in the back looked ok since when I do a touchup I apply it around my hairline, down my part & down a little in the back where I have a cowlick & you can see some gray there. My girlfriend said it all looked the same color except my highlights. I don't have highlights never have had highlights.

Super Contributor

Yes, I do, mainly because my hair is so long & the ends are a completely different color than the top. I leave in some of the grey using a small tooth comb that had come with one of my hair coloring kits. I only do it once a year. April 1st or there abouts. I saw no difference when I spent money at my once upon a time hair stylist's salon. The color didn't last any longer than the over the counter brands.

I buy the most inexpensive, Revlon brand sold at Wal-Mart.

Super Contributor

Here is a pic of my hair which is down to the middle of my back. Please keep in mind it is freshly washed and in the process of air drying so it's quite messy. Not dry yet. It is naturally wavy/frizzy. I posted it this way so that you can see the highlights. Once I comb out and style my hair the highlights blend in and are not as discreet as in this pic.

My natural hair color is light brown. I have been using L'Oreal's Natural Match Dark Blond for many years. Sadly they have discontinued this product and I have to call them to find out what their next best similar product is today. I have been using Clairol Frost & Tip highlighting on top of it. The color in this pic is 12 weeks out so I'm due. I only re-color the roots and put in just a few highlights to break it up. I have only used the L'Oreal all over my head on the initial coloring which was years ago. Since then I have only done the roots as I don't want a build-up of color.

I love the color and think it looks very natural. I'll try to post the finished product after I style my hair.

Contributor

Another vote for L'Oreal Excellence Creme. My hairdresser (now retired) and very good friend would color my hair at her salon using Enamels, which sadly has been discontinued. After she retired and before she moved away, she instructed my husband how to color my hair and for several years I made "appointments" with hubby for color! I'm now coloring my own hair since hubby is too busy. After buying up all my color Enamels on eBay & other sites, I switched to L'Oreal and am extremely happy with the results. I color every 6 weeks and at 4 weeks need touch up so I use Clairol Root Touch up. My gray comes in white and does not take color well with some other products. Those two combinations work for me and I continue to get compliments on my hair color. I notice subtle highlights, it's not just one color all over. Also nice when you get coupons and those lines go on sale. In addition, I use WEN & shampoo every second or third day.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Justina rae said:

Here is a pic of my hair which is down to the middle of my back. Please keep in mind it is freshly washed and in the process of air drying so it's quite messy. Not dry yet. It is naturally wavy/frizzy. I posted it this way so that you can see the highlights. Once I comb out and style my hair the highlights blend in and are not as discreet as in this pic.

My natural hair color is light brown. I have been using L'Oreal's Natural Match Dark Blond for many years. Sadly they have discontinued this product and I have to call them to find out what their next best similar product is today. I have been using Clairol Frost & Tip highlighting on top of it. The color in this pic is 12 weeks out so I'm due. I only re-color the roots and put in just a few highlights to break it up. I have only used the L'Oreal all over my head on the initial coloring which was years ago. Since then I have only done the roots as I don't want a build-up of color.

I love the color and think it looks very natural. I'll try to post the finished product after I style my hair.

Beautiful!

Do the math.
Regular Contributor

On 3/30/2015 YellowLabMom said: I am getting more and more gray in the front of my hair. I have been getting highlights at the salon but 1) It's expensive and 2) It's not really covering my gray all that well. I am thinking about just doing a color myself at home. What's the best to cover gray? Thanks!

YES! I have the exact same thing going on! I won't go to the salon anymore--unless it's a special treat occasion. I have been buying at home hair color..It works as well, and I'm not as upset when the grays come through, in a few short weeks..The more I do it, the better I get at it! I just don't seem to be able to find the exact perfect color! But--I will keep trying & good luck to you!

Trusted Contributor

I have been coloring my own hair since my hairdresser moved away several years ago. She told me what to use and how to do it myself:

1 oz. Wella Color Charm permanent color (Cinnamon Brown) w/ 2 oz. 20 volume developer and 2 pkgs. of Bio-kur desensitizer (for sensitive skin/scalp)--all purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply. I use a plastic nozzle applicator bottle, only color the roots, leave the color on for 30 minutes, then rinse and shampoo.

I color every 6-8 weeks and when the grey appears, I use Joan Rivers' Great Hair Day. My hair is 2 inches below my shoulders, is healthy, looks highlighted and is shiny... the look that I love!

ETA: I also have cut my own hair since I was 14!