Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?

@gertrudecloset   I use a applie cider vinegar rinse from time to time to get rid of build up.  One cup ac vinegar; one cup water.  I use it after I shampoo.  Rinse thoroughly.   I actually had a compliment on the scent of my hair after using this rinse.  That surprised me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Boy, I'd love to revisit Prell, for nostalgia's sake, but I have a ton of Tweak'd and other shampoos and conditioners.  Maybe I'll get some in the summer. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I bought some Prell shampoo about a year ago and I love it. I use it only occasionally b/c it dries my scalp out too much but wow does it ever give my hair a body boost, so full and soft. Kind of wild so you'll need to style it...lol!

Honored Contributor

love Suave Clarifying shampoo, 

my hair feels great after using  and it's cheap

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

They only make one Prell shampoo and, as far as I can tell, it hasn't changed since I used it as a kid ages ago. 

used that for lice,  old school 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear 

The Suave Clarifying made my hair go completely flat. It was the strangest thing. Never had a shampoo do that before.

Honored Contributor

I use Malibu Hard Water Wellness once a month before I color.  I have terribly hard water, and this uses an olein sulfonate which is less stripping than a sulfate which I avoid.  I know it works better than the Ouidad hard water shampoo since I did a side by side comparison on my faux silk robe with hairspray buildup on the shoulders such that they were stiff. Washing in the laundry did nothing to wash it out.  It did take 2 applications to get it all out, but still better than Ouidad's hard water shampoo.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear 

The Suave Clarifying made my hair go completely flat. It was the strangest thing. Never had a shampoo do that before.

I don't use it all the time maybe every other..

but. have a lot of hair, and I swear it feels smoother after using 

Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Indeed.  I have the same and got it at Wal-Mart which was a huge bottle for $3.00!  Only use it when my hair is extremely oily and need to get rid of the oil.  It is cheap and I use only one application as I don't think it is best for your hair.  

Otherwise, one of the best clarifying shampoos on the market is Redken Detox.  Yes, it is a salon product but it can be found on ebay at a more reasonable price than an independent salon.  But at times, it can be found at Marshalls for a steal and where I picked up my last Redken product.

Imo, salon products have the highest quality ingredients than mass market brands and if you look carefully you can get them at value at Marshall's and TJMaxx. 

Honored Contributor

I have used Neutrogena.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm always afraid these types of shampoos will strip my hair color. Maybe I'll try one before my next hair color appointment and see what it does.