Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,422
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Prell was all we had and used when I was a kid.  I haven't used it since.  I have never used a clarifying shampoo but have considered it recently since my hair feels a bit weighed down.  I have seen one by Pantene which looks good and I think I may try it.  It supposedly has no parabens or any of the other yucky ingredients.  


@AngelPuppy1   Sulfate shampoos and clarifiers, I think, accomplish the same thing. If it can fade your color, it must also remove built up styling products that weight hair down. I'm seeing many shampoos that put Sulfate Free on the front of the bottle, since most people don't want that ingredient in their shampoos and conditioners...styling products either. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,455
Registered: ‎02-02-2015

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?

I use Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo.  It works well but I recommend a conditioner when using it, as it can really dry your hair.  I use it once or twice a month.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,243
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?

Sulfates are one of those ingredients that are too good at what they do...clean. So what that means is they remove almost everything including color, oil and also moisture. Best to use sulfates sparingly to avoid getting dried out and color stripped. Some people are allergic to sulfates, too.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,422
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@SilleeMee wrote:

Sulfates are one of those ingredients that are too good at what they do...clean. So what that means is they remove almost everything including color, oil and also moisture. Best to use sulfates sparingly to avoid getting dried out and color stripped. Some people are allergic to sulfates, too.


@SilleeMee   I agree about the drying effect of sulfates. I don't color my hair, but grey/silver hair is almost always more dry, so I stay clear of sulfates. If anything, I do a deep conditioning treatment weekly...more often when needed.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,243
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sulfates are one of those ingredients that are too good at what they do...clean. So what that means is they remove almost everything including color, oil and also moisture. Best to use sulfates sparingly to avoid getting dried out and color stripped. Some people are allergic to sulfates, too.


@SilleeMee   I agree about the drying effect of sulfates. I don't color my hair, but grey/silver hair is almost always more dry, so I stay clear of sulfates. If anything, I do a deep conditioning treatment weekly...more often when needed.


 

 

@Shanus 

I've always had a very oily scalp (thanks Mom and Dad!) plus I use a hair laser now and that makes it even worse! Sulfate-free shampoos are okay for me but most of them don't clean well enough. I end up scrubbing too much and always need a second or third round to get my hair clean. So I use Prell at least once every 2 weeks to get my hair squeaky clean. If I use it more than that I get dried out and my hair starts to look like straw...ugh.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,422
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sulfates are one of those ingredients that are too good at what they do...clean. So what that means is they remove almost everything including color, oil and also moisture. Best to use sulfates sparingly to avoid getting dried out and color stripped. Some people are allergic to sulfates, too.


@SilleeMee   I agree about the drying effect of sulfates. I don't color my hair, but grey/silver hair is almost always more dry, so I stay clear of sulfates. If anything, I do a deep conditioning treatment weekly...more often when needed.


 

 

@Shanus 

I've always had a very oily scalp (thanks Mom and Dad!) plus I use a hair laser now and that makes it even worse! Sulfate-free shampoos are okay for me but most of them don't clean well enough. I end up scrubbing too much and always need a second or third round to get my hair clean. So I use Prell at least once every 2 weeks to get my hair squeaky clean. If I use it more than that I get dried out and my hair starts to look like straw...ugh.


@SilleeMee   It sounds like a "catch 22".....

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,373
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@SilleeMee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Boy, I'd love to revisit Prell, for nostalgia's sake, but I have a ton of Tweak'd and other shampoos and conditioners.  Maybe I'll get some in the summer. 


Oops, I guess I won't be getting any Prell after all.  It strips color, which I don't want. 


 

 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Yes, the Prell will strip out color. But don't most clarifying shampoos do that? I'm not sure b/c I don't color my hair to know that.


@SilleeMee  I'm not the stylist in the family, our daughter is.   I really don't know, I don't use one, I thought they were just for removing built up styling products.  I'll have to ask her. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
I'm always afraid these types of shampoos will strip my hair color. Maybe I'll try one before my next hair color appointment and see what it does.

@Steffdoggy10 This is how I feel as well. The only time I use a clarifying shampoo are the 2 shampoos I do right before my color appointment.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,905
Registered: ‎06-06-2019

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?


@Shanus wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

I have used Neutrogena.  


@rms1954   Same with me. I'd think using Prell or other "clarifying" shampoos on a regular basis would be quite drying to the hair, no?


Yes, I agree.  I have only used Neutrogena years ago when younger and it worked well.  So I got to thinking about clarifying hair products and came across an email from Better Not Younger brand (they sell on HSN and their own site) and they have a new product called New Dawn so i ordered it.  We'll see.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,243
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Do you buy clarifying shampoo?

A long time ago I had my hair colored. It was suppose to add just a hint of auburn to my very dark brown hair but it turned out way too red. My hair dresser told me to get some Prell shampoo and use it for the next few shampoos to get rid of some of the red dye out of my hair and that worked beautifully. Proof that it strips color.