Honored Contributor

Re: Do you believe the hype about separate products for eyes, neck, face?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

It strikes me that when someone doesn't want to bother with a particular product, it's touted as hype that others who do prefer to use it are falling for and need to defend their choice.

@JeanLouiseFinch

And sometimes it's just "hype".    lol

Honored Contributor

I think that it's all marketing. I'm not suggesting that anyone is foolish for buying separate creams for different body parts; I just choose not to do so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

For me, many "regular" creams are too heavy/greasy for my eye area and cause milia or burning. Specific eye creams (or at least the ones I use) tend to not move, have little to no fragrance compared to face creams and don't tend to burn my eyes.

I know that creams that irritate my face don't do that to my neck or chest so I use samples or something I purchased in that area instead (if it causes irritation). I've used neck creams on my face and found them to be much heavier/thicker and didn't care for them. 

I don't necessarily look for a neck cream but I like being able to extend the use of my face cream a bit longer by not using it up on my neck and chest ( I use up quite a bit on that area). If I don't have one, I'll just extend my face cream onto it. No biggie.

I believe serums are the key as well as daily spf. 

Honored Contributor

Some seem to work for me and some don't.  I am pleased by the difference the Perricone I'm using has made for me --  Conformer plus Neuropeptide Cream.  I was skeptical.

I do remember an article about eye cream research in Good Housekeeping in which the conclusion was that the only cream they tested that made a clinical difference cost $250, way more than anything else they tried.  I have no idea what the name was - never bought it.  Maybe 5 years ago or longer.

I have so many health-related eye issues that I don't want products except for my meds near them.  Pretty much everything that's wrong in that area would need surgery for a correction anyway, so I just use a bit of my gentle moisturizer near my eyes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I truly dislike when people use the word "hype" as I feel it is meant to denigrate people and their choices, no I do not believe you need separate products for various things. If you look at the ingredients in your products, you will see that they often have the same ingredients, just packaged differently or, perhaps, in different concentrations but there is truly no reason why they need to be.

The only thing I find fascinating is that sometimes if a product I used on my face breaks me out or is too rich on my face, I will use it up on my neck and chest and it works just fine- no breakouts, no greasiness, nothing. However, that doesn't mean I re-purchase those products and just use them on my neck and chest.

Now, perhaps if someone has alot of sun damage to the skin on their chest but not on their face (usually due to not using sunscreen on their chest but they do on their face) and they want to address that sun damage just in that area by using a particular product with a particular ingredient that helps with sun damage, like AHA or hydroquinone, then there is a good reason to buy a product just for your chest but, again, it does not need to be a "chest product" per se, it can simply be an AHA product.

From my experience, I've also noticed that often the specialty products like for the eyes or neck are often priced higher and, again, the ingredients are often the same as those found in regular skin care products so, honestly, no need for the higher price. That is simply marketing.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

It strikes me that when someone doesn't want to bother with a particular product, it's touted as hype that others who do prefer to use it are falling for and need to defend their choice.

Confirmation bias is powerful.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

And sometimes it's just "hype".    lol

And who gets to decide?  Hopefully people are smart enough to do research and make up their own mind if they want to use something or not.  Just because a person doesn't want to use something for whatever their reason, that doesn't mean someone else who does is falling for hype.  That insinuates that first one is believing they're smarter and the second one is foolish.  As others have mentioned, certain thicknesses of a product as well as certain ingredients, or percentages of ingredients may work fine in one area and not in another.  Ultimately, people should be able to choose what they want to use, how many steps they are willing to include in their routine, etc. without feeling shamed, labeled, or feeling they have to defend their choice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope.

And the most-recent recent info - by derms and other skin experts - says it's not necessary

You'll keep your skin healthy as long as you moisturize, keep yourself hydrated, and use sunscreen on a daily basis.

Many of us can't afford a separate product for each body part, even if it's "drugstore".

So it's a bit of relief when you have a very tight budget, yet still want to take good care of yourself.

Especially as skin is the body's largest organ.

Honored Contributor

I do use a separate eye cream because I use thick creams on my face and they end up causing milia around my eyes. 

I do not believe in neck creams or chest creams. 

Trusted Contributor

I actually enjoy using all my different lotions and potions!  I like the process and I feel like I'm doing something for myself.  So, yes I do use different products for eyes, face, neck and chest.  Don't really care if it's hype or not, it makes me feel good.