Trusted Contributor

Do you always use setting powder?

I was just browisng posts and saw Chrissygalpal's question about readers' fave setting powder.

I rarely use setting powder.  Is is something that most of you do everyday?  I always thought it made my face too cakey.  Maybe I am using the wrong powder in the wrong way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you always use setting powder?

I don't use setting powder. I don't think everyone needs it and glad I don't because it is one more step I don't want, lol!

Esteemed Contributor

I only use it if I put on too much blush.  It will tone it down.  

Respected Contributor

I answered on the other thread. I have used a regular pressed powder before and I think it does get cakey. Also, you are pretty much supposed to reapply during the day and that just makes it worse. I would rather use something I pretty much use once and never get too oily, doesn't suck all the moisture from my skin and gives a great finish to my make up.

someone mentioned Mally Face Defender. I use that also and it really is great. The Make up Forever HD Microfinish Powder is my newest thing to try out. I would recommend both. I alternate. The Microfinish powder is a white powder that  goes translucent. I find I prefer that to try to match skin tone which is quite hard and can ruin your loom if you don't have it right. 

I mentioned the Wayne Goss trick of putting it on after your primer (Mally) but before your base (IT Cosmetics CC Cream). That ensures you won't look cakey also. Hope you find something good.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use IT's concealer to cover dark age/sun spots on my face so yes I always follow up with It's bye bye pores setting powder.  Never tried my ap of bare minerals without using the It setting powder, can't imagine what the BE would feel like without using It.

Respected Contributor

I really like the finishing powders that Everyday Minerals (online) offer. Comes in 4 shades and my favorite is the "Sunlight".

Honored Contributor

I do use a powder.  Sometimes I use a loose powder and sometimes I use a pressed.  Regardless of the type of product I use, I always use a big brush to apply it.

I use the BBUE from IT and I feel like I need to set that so I actually use a powder right up under my eye area.  As long as I'm using the right powder, I don't have a problem with it getting cakey.

Honored Contributor

I use setting powder when I need setting powder.

Respected Contributor

I was always afraid of powder because I have dry skin. However, I had a hard time with my foundation not getting all over my phone and anything else that my face came in contact with. My favorite is IT Bye Bye Pressed. It simply sets my foundation without drying me out.

Honored Contributor

If I am using only a powdered foundation, then no.  If I am using a BB/CC cream or serum type foundation, then yes I'll use a setting power.