Honored Contributor

Re: Do you Subscribe To Beauty Boxes

@I like celery wrote:

@Jordan2 and anyone else who may be interested:   Someone finally found a spoiler pic for what is supposed to be included in July's "Play! by Sephora" box.  I'm still not sure if some people will get Box A or Box B, but click the spoiler tag to see what will be included if there is a Box A for combo/oily skin (If there's a Box B for normal/dry skin, it will include the same items, but a couple products won't be the oily skin version) :

Spoiler

sephora-play-july 

@I like celery

The Too Faced bronzer alone makes it worth the price of admission! I received that in birchbox or ipsy who knows when ago and I'm still using it! Most samples offer a pretty substantial amount of product. I received Clark's Smoothing Cream in May and I only just tossed the container using it every other day! In my experience the value in the boxes is good....(unless of course you give everything away each month)

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

@Jordan2 and anyone else who may be interested:   Someone finally found a spoiler pic for what is supposed to be included in July's "Play! by Sephora" box.  I'm still not sure if some people will get Box A or Box B, but click the spoiler tag to see what will be included if there is a Box A for combo/oily skin (If there's a Box B for normal/dry skin, it will include the same items, but a couple products won't be the oily skin version) :

Spoiler

sephora-play-july 

@I like celery

The Too Faced bronzer alone makes it worth the price of admission! I received that in birchbox or ipsy who knows when ago and I'm still using it! Most samples offer a pretty substantial amount of product. I received Clark's Smoothing Cream in May and I only just tossed the container using it every other day! In my experience the value in the boxes is good....(unless of course you give everything away each month)

@Andreatoo  I don't know if you saw any of my previous posts, but some people might be receiving slightly different products, depending on if their Beauty Insider profile for skin type indicates dry or oily.  Dry skin types might be receiving Benefit Dew the Hoola Soft Matte Liquid Bronzer, instead of Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer.  Also, the First Aid Cleanser and Smashbox Primer might be different for some people, too (oil-free primer, and cleanser w/clay for oily skin types).  The other 3 items (beautyblender blotterazzi, NEST Citrine, and Ouai Wave Spray.) will be included in all boxes.  

Initially, people were noticing their accounts showed either Box A or Box B (depending on how Beauty Insider profiles were set), but then the box type disappeared the next day.  It started the speculation that Sephora would be making the boxes somewhat customized.  Someone posted spoiler info for what Box A and Box B would include, but then another person posted an email from a Sephora Rep that mentioned the changes wouldn't begin until August's box.  Who knows.  Anyway, July's box should include most (if not all) of the items in the spoiler pic.   Hope that isn't too confusing!  Smiley Very Happy 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Roni, of course you can do keep going to reach VIB or Rouge, but in case you don't know this there is no extra perk for being at this level.  If you consider shopping a week earlier than BI's during the April and Nov. Friends and Family promotion a big deal that's it.  The points you've earned allow you to choose a better points gift, but even the top level gifts aren't exciting to me. I was almost at Rouge when I woke up and smelled the coffee, and started buying the products I purchased from Sephora elsewhere.  I now shop places where I see my loyalty rewarded with discounts, bonuses of full size products, dollars and cents -- or in terms of not shopping at Sephora dollars and sense.  

@Trix  I agree there really aren't any extra perks with VIB and Rouge, except I do think if someone is at the Beauty Insider level, they won't get the promos for free deluxe size sample products with a $25 purchase ?  I could be wrong on that, but I thought the promos were only offered at VIB and Rouge levels.  That's the only reason why I maintain my VIB level (to be able to take advantage of some of the promos).  

One other extra perk are the holiday gift cards.  I don't think the Beauty Insider level receives a holiday gift card.  Beauty Insiders used to receive a $15 gift card, and VIBs received $20 (not sure what Rouge received), but I think Sephora stopped offering the holiday gift cards to Beauty Insiders.  If I'm wrong, I hope someone corrects me.

Other than those little "perks," I agree there's no real advantage to being at VIB and Rouge levels. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I have, but no longer do. I found that I had a drawer full of stuff I never used. At first the idea seemed fun, but ended up not liking most of the products. I pretty much know what works for me at this point.

Honored Contributor

I never had for the reason that I do not want to receive stuff I really do not want or need.  Seems kind of like taking your chances....and I do not do that with skin care.

Honored Contributor

@I like celery

I saw.

I was mainly commenting on the value of the boxes in general and using the single item as an example; there always seems to be at least 2 things you'd like to try and often you get a decent amount for the nominal fee

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@I like celery

I saw.

I was mainly commenting on the value of the boxes in general and using the single item as an example; there always seems to be at least 2 things you'd like to try and often you get a decent amount for the nominal fee

@Andreatoo  Oh, I know.  I, also, just didn't want you to be disappointed if your box didn't include the Too Faced Bronzer, if you are already a subscriber.  I can't remember if you subscribe to "Play! by Sephora," but I know you subscribe to a few other beauty boxes.  Sorry for any confusion! 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I like celery wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@I like celery

I saw.

@Andreatoo  Oh, I know.  I, also, just didn't want you to be disappointed if your box didn't include the Too Faced Bronzer, if you are already a subscriber.  I can't remember if you subscribe to "Play! by Sephora," but I know you subscribe to a few other beauty boxes.  Sorry for any confusion! 

@I like celery

Nope, ipsy and birchbox. I've done single boxes from dermstore and beautylish but at much higher prices. Got a lot more product but being the luck of the draw a bit too risky for the money.

$10.00 is easy to part with and even though my bathroom counter is a bit cluttered lol it's fun to try different things.

This months birchbox had Coola setting spray with spf 30! Woohoo! I'm also sampling the Shiseido concentrate. Nice little bottle that I'll be able to use for a couple of weeks I think but the eye treatment was a blister pack Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

If you subscribe to Beauty Boxes, which ones and are they worth the cost? I have been disappointed by Ipsy and Allure Beauty Boxes and cancelled them both after two months. I have also gotten Target and Walmart Beauty Boxes and have been underwhelmed by them (I know for the cost I shouldn't expect much $7 and $5).Right now I have received 2 boxes from the Sephora Beauty Box, the second box was better than the first. I have read that if you get the Sephora box you should hang on to it as people are on a wait list (I guess I should feel like a chosen one)! I just know after I cancel my Sephora box the next one will be phenomenal and I'll be kicking myself for having cancelled it!

They are travel/sample sizes and the box costs $10. I I don't think there's any way a $10 box of samples is every going to be phenomenal and maybe you need to reevaluate your expectations. 

I've subscribed to a few different beauty boxes and none of them have blown me away. I'm happy if I get some products that I can test out, get turned on to something I didn't know about before, or get a sample of something I wanted to try but haven't gotten around to. I like that each box comes with an explanation of what the product is and how to use it. Sometimes Birchbox did a better job of this than other times and the single postcard they included was not always helpful. You could get more information on the website, but I didn't want to pull up a website to learn about the item that was sent to my front door.

I think Sephora named the box wisely - Play. It's a way for us to play with products we might not have picked up ourselves or driven to a store to test. They don't personalize the boxes in any real way, so there's no guarantee that what they send you is even something you'd ever use. What I do like about Sephora Play is that it's always something you'd find in a Sephora store. Sometimes BirchBox would include food samples or other things that I just didn't want in my beauty box. Once they included some cute earbuds and a Spotify playlist, which I thought was so cool, but the ear buds were so cheap that mine didn't even work.

Beauty Army, my second box, is $12 and allows you to choose your own samples from options available each month. They have a lot of drugstore items now. When I tried it, it was all higher end items. I noticed that the samples you could choose from one month often stuck around. Sometimes that was nice because you can choose six and maybe you wanted to try one you didn't pick. More often it was me rejecting the same sample two or three months in a row. Maybe with more drugstore items they have more variety, but I don't know.

Is Play phenomenal? No. but that's an awful lot to ask of $10 and a handful of samples. The better question is do you think Play is worth $10 a month? I'm in for a while longer, but will likely decide a few months from now that I would rather put the $10 a month toward a second Audible credit or a Kindle book.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

I've noticed some really horrendous mistakes on those birchbox post cards!

Instead of using an (exfoliating!) product '1- 2 times per week' it read '12 times per week'

!!!!

I ran in to something similar again....