Honored Contributor

Re: Do good hair, clothes & hygiene make someone 'hot'?

P.S.  I didn't see the thread about men who "make" their wives have long hair, but I find the idea really funny.

I have read things like that before and it just makes me think how easy some men are.  Just stick long hair on a woman and VOILA she's a hottie!!!

LOL. 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

P.S.  I didn't see the thread about men who "make" their wives have long hair, but I find the idea really funny.

I have read things like that before and it just makes me think how easy some men are.  Just stick long hair on a woman and VOILA she's a hottie!!!

LOL. 

I think you would enjoy this thread... Lots of clever responses.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/Hair-that-flatters-no-matter-the-length-So-much-for-guys/m-p/2705...

Honored Contributor

When I think of someone "hot" they are usually young, well dressed, great physique and really good features. The term in itself reminds me of young men describing a girl in high school and doesn't necessarily apply to someone over a certain age. I remember in our Yearbook, back in the days that dinosaurs roamed the earth, there was a contest for what appeared to be the girl with the best body.....translation "hot."

A woman with beautiful features, lovely skin and hair isn't necessarily "hot." Classic beauties I don't even think want to be labeled "hot." Beautiful is really enough.

Trusted Contributor

I think the OP is confusing the slang term "hot" with "beautiful" and they are not the same thing.

"Hot" usually refers to being sexually attractive, a sexual object (and fantasizing what you would like to do with that object, lol).  This is definitely in the eye of the beholder. 

"Beautiful" usually refers to people that have symmetrical faces and pleasing physical proportions.  If you have won the gene pool lottery and born physically beautiful, you can wear a burlap bag and still be beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Eye of the beholder. For example, I have a type that I think is hot. And I guarantee a lot of people would react to what I think is hot with "Really? Seriously?"

I agree. 

I also think these three things are pushed on us by the media in every story about someone who finds a girl (occasionally a guy) and changes only these three things and makes someone people don't notice into someone everyone wants:

My Fair Lady

The Princess Diaries

Pretty Woman

She's All That

But come on - Audrey Hepburn was just as lovely with dirt on her face and worn clothing. Rachael Leigh Cook was beautiful with her glasses on AND off. Hollywood is always pushing us to believe that people are ONLY hot when they do their hair a certain way, wear nice clothing, and are clean and shiny.

In real life, people don't work that way. Most people don't look like that, but ask if them if they think their partners are hot and I'm sure you'll get a "yes" because people are more complex than Hollywood gives us credit for and aren't only attracted to Hollywood  perfection.

Honored Contributor

@segrl21 wrote:

Know this may be taken wrong but.....people now tend to dress much more 'sloppy' than women of the past.  One of the main reason its expensive if you do clothing, MU & treatments.  A lot of women have to choose between this or that and can't do the whole package . People are making a lot less money, have less expendable money, so things like clothing & beauty treatments are neglected. So when any woman puts a lot of effort  & money into clothing, hair, MU, she stands out more and is noticable. Heck, I notice them. Women in the past, especially in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s put a lot of thought, money and work into how they looked.  So it wasn't as uncommon and normal. Also, in my experience women are often way more harsh than men when it comes to attractiveness....and have never figured out why.

I don't think that women in the past had any more discretionary spending than those today. But there is definitely an increasing divide in terms of wealth. Still, seems as if we're doing quite a bit of spending these days, judging by the profits for all things beauty related.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I don't think that "beautiful" and "hot" are the same things.  Plenty of men and women out there who many would consider "hot" but not necessarily "beautiful".  And vice versa.

And I have no idea why we need or want some sort of "gold standard" for either one.

I've never felt any pressure to think that anyone is either "hot" or "beautiful".

Guess I don't really get the OP's question.  It's weird.

Maybe advertising and such make these determinations, but it's just advertising.  And if you look at fashion and beauty magazines today, their depictions of beauty are quite diverse as compared to the narrow spectrum of years past. 

Beauty and hotness are all in the eye of the beholder.  Always has been, always will be.

Absolutely, @QueenDanceALot.  And "hot" has little to do with looking presentable or having good hygiene. To quote Jamie Kern of It Cosmetics, it's a "Je ne sais quoi."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022 I have no idea where you took what I said as a potential endorsement for some kind of Aryan beauty standard. Big difference between embracing non-Nordic beauty and calling any woman with long hair and a nice dress "beautiful." As a dark-haired/dark-eyed Mediterranean woman, I would automatically be disqualifying myself from being considered attractive if I thought that way.

As I said in the post, I don't know whether it's a good thing or not that the standard of beauty seems to have widened to include women who really are not all that classically beautiful. Maybe it's good if it makes women feel less miserable every day because they're not beautiful enough, but it also seems problematic to me that we place such a darn high value on looks, that women have to convince themselves they're not just pretty, attractive or OK-looking, but beautiful. It's implicitly considered a major insult in our culture these days not to be called "beautiful," which, by definition, is a rarity and therefore ironic to be thrown about so much.

Of course you should wear the clothes/hair/makeup that you feel make you look your best and be most confident, but the idea that we all reinforce by calling practically any woman "beautiful" is that it's unacceptable to be anything less than exceptional in the looks category. Whatever happened to being OK with what you've got, even if you're not "beautiful"? 

Honored Contributor

"Do good hair, clothes & hygiene make someone 'hot'?"

Lets ask Rod & Fred....

Rod asking in video: Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?

Fred telling everyone in video:  I`m Too Sexy

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Short answer - No. 

Long answer - IMO just because someone has good hair, clothes, and hygiene that does not mean they are "hot". Hot and beautiful are not the same thing IMO. I am more interested in character traits than surface beauty.