Honored Contributor

Do Your Own Nails Or Have Them Done?

I quit gel nails when I retired from teaching.  I had my nails done for cleanliness when I taught Foods and Adv. Foods.

Now, I do my own manicure and pedi because I don't want to drive somewhere for a service or deal with appointments. 

I use OPI polish and have the tools. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Your Own Nails Or Have Them Done?

I don't paint my nails anymore.  I stopped a couple of years ago when I developed numbness in 6 of my 10 fingers.  Fine motor skills/working with and holding small objects are tricky.  When I did, I did my own.  I never did gel nails.  Heard too many horror stories about them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

I get mine done.  I have hard gel nails & wear gel polish.  I don't get hard gel on my tosies, but do get gel polish.  For many years I had acrylic nails but I prefer hard gel.  They're  tougher & I only have to get them filled every 5 weeks.  I could even stretch it out to 6 weeks, but my nails get too long & since I work on a computer all day, I wouldn't be able to type if I went 6 weeks...LOL!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Neither though I'll put polish on my toes in sandal weather. 

Regular Contributor

I enoy doing my own nails. And I love collecting the unique indie polishes. I've never had a professionsl manicure...never sounded appealing ot me at all.

i recently decided to try doing a hard gel overlay. It was actually easier than I expected. But I had a bit of a learning curve using the e-file to remove a bit of lifting. No permanent damage, but I do need to wait for a nail to grow out a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

People are always surprised when I say I have never had a manicure and only had one pedicure in my life. I'm surprised too!   I get many compliments on my nails.  I use Orly Bonder as a base, Opi Polish and top coat.  I only need to do my nails every two or sometimes three weeks with a touch up.  Rarely do I get a chip.  I swear by that Orly Bonder.

I was given a gift certificate for a nail salon and I got my first pedicure the summer before the pandemic and I loved it.  Was planning on getting another the next summer but with the pandemic, well we know how that went.  Although doubtful, maybe I'll get one this summer, but will probably still be doing them myself.

Respected Contributor

Never had a professional manicure or pedi...I just cut my nails, tend to cuticles & that's it, no polish.

Valued Contributor

I do my own nails. I had acrylics for years and got tired of appointments. I have problems with peeling. I have recently gone back to Nailtiques 2 Plus but it is hard to find since they went out of business. I am always looking for a solution to my thin peeling nails. I don't want them long, just neat and smooth with a light colored polish.

Honored Contributor

I had fake nails for about a year in the 80's and permed hair and one day sitting at a meeting I thought I do not want to look this way and got rid of the nails and the perm.

It is just not me.  And it interferes with playing the piano.  Martha Stewart's hands look like mine.  Working hands. I've never been into ruffles and high heels and frilly. 

Respected Contributor

I stopped gel nails when I left the full time corporate setting.  My nails were a wreck.  I do my own nails now and rarely use polish any more.  I kept my nails chipped working outside and with pasture animals.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.