Honored Contributor

When I was little, practically every Saturday night afer dinner my parents, my sister and I would head to the local mall just to walk around and look.  Of course at that time, I didn't really know what we were doing.  LOL

I do remember heading to downtown Cleveland and again, our local mall, just too look at the Christmas displays both inside stores and in the windows.  Now, our mall is totally dead and I don't even know if they put a tree up anymore.  I don't know how it even stays open.  Cleveland isn't like it used to be either.

Sometimes on nice days I will go to our "mall" where you walk from store to store outside.  I have no intention of buying anything, I just want to get out.  I always end up buying which is why I don't do this often.  LOL      

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My mom and I would go window shopping at local greenhouses and garden centers around town. She was quite the gardener, me ...not so much. We would just roam around the plants and trees and she would get ideas for her garden that way. Sometimes we would stop by some of the consignment clothing stores and look around there, too. I sure do miss my mom.Heart

Me too.  I miss mine almost every day.  But aren't we so very blessed to have had such wonderful Moms!💕💕

Big hugs to you ((((SilleeMee))))

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@monicakm Window shopping for my family was just that. We walked the downtown area and enjoyed all of the beautifully decorated windows. Back in the day that was a significant advertising tool. Christmas was over-the-top with animations and professional teams who dressed the windows of the locally owned stores.

Once we entered a store we were no longer window shopping; we were browsing. Our area got its first mall in the early 70's. That lead to the death of the downtown stores. Our downtown area has never recovered.

Small towns still offer an abundance of window shopping. One of my favorite places to do that is Fredericksburg, Texas. We walk both sides of the street which contains a large number of stores for such a small town. A day can easily be spent in that downtown area.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm I think I do to a certain extent.  Find myself looking on different sites when I'm wanting a distraction during my lunch hour.  Sometimes I buy, sometimes not.  There is a Sephora near my work and sometimes I'd wander through there after eating lunch.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You "Window Shop"?

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

I love to window shop, but like others, most of mine is done online now due to the pandemic. I like to go inside and browse through stores even if I have no intention of buying anything. Problem is, I can usually find something to buy so my window shopping turns into buying. 😱🥴

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You "Window Shop"?

[ Edited ]

The only times I've done sometihng remotely related to window shopping .... when we were younger and walking all afternoon was something we could actually do  .... 

At Chrismas time - a friend and I would go spend a Sunday afternoon visiting all the stores Chrismas windows, walk over to Rock Ctr to see the tree.  Then - stop somewhere for lunch and walk home.

Honored Contributor

If I lived close to a Sephora, I'd be living under a bridge!  But, I'd be a fabulous looking homeless person and I'd smell good too Smiley Wink  But wait.  I buy more from the comfort of my home office than I ever did when I went to a physical store Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

THANK ALL OF YOU SO MUCH for your wonderful memories of a simpler, kinder and slower paced era.  I loved reading about them.  If I could go back in time, I'd want to be a grown up in the Leave it to Beaver days (which first aired in 1957).  I'm sure it wasn't all a bed of roses but I need to look at things thru rose colored glasses (according to my dad).

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Fredericksburg, Texas

Beautiful historic town!!!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm I virtual window shop! I will go online and look at various cosmetics and clothing and even household things and just look and take notes of things That I would like to try in person, but just to go out to the "stores" and window shop-No!!

I used to years ago, my sister and I would go to the Mall and just browse and if we saw something that we really wanted we would buy it, but we purposely went to just look around and stop for lunch! This was years ago when Mall shopping was huge and our mall was booming!

I guess the only place I can say I window Shop is Ulta, and I ALWAYS come out with something!! lol! We are the same age, I too was born in 1959.