Honored Contributor

I asked this in another thread but no one answered.  Remember when our mother's used to window shop with a girlfriend knowing they weren't going to buy anything, just look.  Is that a lost "art"?  I don't think I ever window shopped.  I've shopped and came home empty handed but never set out to just window shop.   I was born in 1959.  I would have loved to be of age in the 50s and 60s.

Esteemed Contributor

I "window shop" virtually now. I visit various sites sometimes just to browse

from my fire tablet. 

Trusted Contributor

I've gone shopping without the intention of buying anything and to just look around, but that tends to be at places like TJ Maxx/HomeGoods/Marshalls where the stock turns over really fast.  Luckily I have a large TJ Maxx/HomeGoods combo store less than 15 minutes away so it's something I'll do on a weekend afternoon or after work if I'm bored and want to do something for an hour or so.  I'd say I end up buying something less than 50% of the time.

Honored Contributor

Of course.  I did with stores and do online.  I don't intend to buy anything, but that's how I find special pieces of clothing.  Those collectibles and unique pieces that add a spark to my wardrobe.

I have a few open tabs with several, now, deciding whether I want to buy them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You "Window Shop"?

[ Edited ]

I used to do it all the time during my lunch hour.  We often went to the Mall for lunch and then "shop" afterwards.  I was born in 1958 so I don't think that has anything to do with it.  However, my mother really didn't window shop.  In fact, she didn't even learn to drive until after both me and my sister did, so to go "downtown" we had to walk.  Plus, I grew up in a small town, so "downtown" wasn't much.  The largest store I think was Belk Hudsons which had 2 buildings.  Also, mother made all our clothes.  

I don't "window shop" online though.  Don't really enjoy that.  Maybe I just don't know the right places to shop.

Respected Contributor

A looooong time ago with my BFF on warm summer nights when neither of us had two dimes to rub together.  We walked to the "avenue" where there were tons of shops and dreamed over clothes and furniture we couldn't afford.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

Yes, I thought about that and I do the same.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

In reference to my age, I was just saying that it seems like window shopping was more popular in the 50s and 60s and I wasn't window shopping age Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My mom and I would go window shopping at local greenhouses and garden centers around town. She was quite the gardener, me ...not so much. We would just roam around the plants and trees and she would get ideas for her garden that way. Sometimes we would stop by some of the consignment clothing stores and look around there, too. I sure do miss my mom.Heart

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

In reference to my age, I was just saying that it seems like window shopping was more popular in the 50s and 60s and I wasn't window shopping age Smiley Happy

@monicakm I realize that, but I was an adult when I was window shopping in the Mall.