Regular Contributor

Do You Think It Would Be A Good Idea for an Expert Like ...

An aesthetician or skin care expert (not affiliated with any certain brand) to do the beauty shows? Just a thought.  When you go to a cosmetic counter in some stores, you get serviced by someone who has schooling and/or a certification in beauty, hair, skin care. Just throwing it out there.  What's your view?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think It Would Be A Good Idea for an Expert Like ...

[ Edited ]

Wouldn't happen.  The goal of a shopping channel is to sell. There is always an "expert" for a particular brand that is "selling" their product.  If you had a real expert who is going to tell you the pros and cons of a product, it won't make sense on a shopping channel. Only the positive is offered when selling.   If you want neutral advice go to beauty websites that are not backed by a particular product, even then you can't be sure you are getting the real truth.  You then have to do your own research and at some point experience the product for yourself, and that can vary with each individual.

Honored Contributor

@greenjean1 wrote:

An aesthetician or skin care expert (not affiliated with any certain brand) to do the beauty shows? Just a thought.  When you go to a cosmetic counter in some stores, you get serviced by someone who has schooling and/or a certification in beauty, hair, skin care. Just throwing it out there.  What's your view?

They are sales people too.  For advice about skin care, a dermatologist is the only one I think has good information. 

Esteemed Contributor

Telling the truth, and nothing but the truth would not sell products.  And there is always a difference of opinion in any case.  

And what if the EXPERT did not see value in the product.  I have run into this before.  

Honored Contributor

Be sure you get a "cosmetic" dermatologist.  I don't know what these people call themselves, but if you get a dermatologist who deals with skin cancer and serious issues, they think skin care is trivial.  Been there, done that.

Honored Contributor

@greenjean1

I think it would be an interesting idea.  I see one privately 4 times a year, or more if I have questions.  She sells NO products.  

However, in order be of real value, individual assessments made while looking at your skin are necessary.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras