Honored Contributor

Do You Still Buy As Much Beauty Products As You Once Did

Since COVID and my mother's passing I buy very little makeup and skincare products. Partly because I have more than I think I could ever use in my lifetime and also I was once a real makeup girl, never left the house without a full face on, now I hardly ever wear makeup. I figure I'm wearing a mask, no one will even notice. Also to be quite honest I need to watch my money, I rather spend my money on things I really need. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Still Buy As Much Beauty Products As You Once Did

@Jordan2 

My investment has always been in skincare, not that I get the most expensive. Just every now and then I re-evaluate what I need and/or would like to try something different as far as skin ingredients.

As far as makeup...I'm pretty conservative, though if you read "What Did You Buy This Week" you might not think so.

I guess I have more than I need, too. It's time I start tossing. Things are stashed away. I need to make a concerted effort.

Honored Contributor

I haven't really changed my goals or routine, though the actual products may change as I experiment with various brands. I am faithful with my skincare and always wear makeup when I leave the house. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I am maintaining my skin care, but not using nearly as much cosmetics. I do not wear makeup at home if I am not going to see anyone. My skin is extremely sensitive, so I let it stay bare as often as I can.

We are fully vaccinated and boosted, but we do not venture out into public often since the majority here are unvaccinated and unmasked. I am saving a fortune on cosmetics because I don't really need any with my mask.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm buying about the same amount I always did. Moisturizer, lip balm, concealer, perfector, (though don't have any now) and a little eyeshadow. The only change is I use bronzer, which I didn't in the past. 

I have aways used cleanser, right now it's L'oreal Revitalift. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Ditto.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought any make-up for years (except for nail polish) and I buy very little skin care items.

I like nice skin cleansers and face wash.  Normally,  have some body butters around, but I don't have dry skin and don't use it much...not even hand lotion.

I mostly just shower and go. So, everything has stayed the same as far as my purchases.

Honored Contributor

No, I do not! First of all I have more makeup than I know what to do with, even after giving a lot away and throwing a lot away, so as far as makeup I only buy lippies, and mascara.

I will buy foundation when needed...I have more than enough eye shadows, liners, and blush to last several lifetimes!

As far as Skincare, I do replenish what I use of course, but rarely am I trying a bunch of new things like I used to. In fact if I want to try a new skincare item, I look for a sample to purchase first, well actually several samples.

I also try to buy travel sizes if I have never used the item before..I have downsized my routine, and with all of the samples I have, I don't need much other than cleansers, and moisturizers on a routine basis.

I feel so much better not spending so much money on all of it too! 

Respected Contributor

I have really scaled down my makeup purchases since I don't do as much as I used to.  I stopped watching the make up presentations and am focusing on using what I have before I get more.  I used to order kits during the height of the Mally, Philosophy and Tarte days, so I had a stock to go through.  Now that I am older, I really believe that people don't notice or look at you very much.  My recent purchases have been eye make up to update those products but not much else.  Also using up the skin care products I already have before buying more.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I'm sorry for your loss Smiley Sad  

Excellent question.  When I bought drugstore makeup and before discovering Mel Thompson and other makeup influencer on YT, I didn't buy as much.  I had my basics that rarely changed.  Going to the dept stores was a day long trip.  And returning makeup was another trip.  Discovering Mel and others on YT opened up a whole new world for makeup and skincare and buying online was/is perfect for my country dwelling lifestyle and current mobility problems (that started when Covid started around here).  I went bananas and had a blast doing it Smiley Happy  I love it all!  Well, I'll admit going a tiny bit overboard with the e/s palettes Smiley Surprised  I'm still buying makeup but not at the pace I was.  I've got some things that haven't arrived yet (accidentally bought two bottles of the same Dior foundation in two different orders (sigh).  I've been trying to order some products that are sold out.  My makeup madness started when Covid hit Smiley Surprised  When I leave the house, I have on a full face of makeup even during Covid.