Super Contributor

Re: Do You Really Need A Toner?

SuzyQ3 - Thanks for that information. I'm going to wait after I apply my BHA. I just started back using it in the morning (Retin-a at night) and I've been applying my vitamin c serum right over it. I also noticed that they sighted witch hazel too. I'm glad I've got the Skin Recovery toner coming my way.

Honored Contributor

On 7/26/2014 suzyQ3 said:

b) If a 2% or 5% BHA product is applied and left on the skin, but no AHA product is following, wait 30 minutes before applying next product. This allows the BHA to work at its most effective, and exfoliate at optimal levels.

suzyQ, that was an interesting article. I knew you were supposed to wait before applying your next product, but I don't have time in the morning. I'm wondering now if it's better to just not use my BHA in the morning at all since I can't wait that long before applying my moisturizer and foundation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

On 7/8/2014 lisrobreib said:

Just use Witch Hazel. Thats all you need.

I use Witch Hazel, too. It's cheap and works great. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 NickNack said:

<br /> <em>b) If a 2% or 5% BHA product is applied and left on the skin, but no AHA product is following, wait 30 minutes before applying next product. This allows the BHA to work at its most effective, and exfoliate at optimal levels.</em>

suzyQ, that was an interesting article. I knew you were supposed to wait before applying your next product, but I don't have time in the morning. I'm wondering now if it's better to just not use my BHA in the morning at all since I can't wait that long before applying my moisturizer and foundation.

I always use my BHA in the AM (have for many years now) and I NEVER wait that long. I think that 30 minutes is overkill.

Respected Contributor

So, according to the ph examples, baking soda is actually not a good choice for a physical exfoliant as the ph is 8.5 and "damaging to the skin's acid mantle". Just pointing that out since I've read so many here use it as an exfoliant.

Thanks, SQ3 for the info.

Super Contributor

I have always liked using a toner. Makes my skin feel restored and ready for the next step.
Valued Contributor

<br /> <em>b) If a 2% or 5% BHA product is applied and left on the skin, but no AHA product is following, wait 30 minutes before applying next product. This allows the BHA to work at its most effective, and exfoliate at optimal levels.</em>

On Paula's website there is a very recent video (last week I think) that says that you don't need to wait to apply products and you can layer products as well. I used to wait after cleansing, to apply my RetinA because that is what the insert said to do.... I talked to my derm about this and he said absolutely don't have to wait because I have been using it for so long. Waiting between products is for people who might have sensitively. that goes along with what Paula's website says too.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 BellaCarro said:

So, according to the ph examples, baking soda is actually not a good choice for a physical exfoliant as the ph is 8.5 and "damaging to the skin's acid mantle". Just pointing that out since I've read so many here use it as an exfoliant.

Thanks, SQ3 for the info.

I've always cringed when I read about people using it for their face. However I am hoping it is something most do only once in a great while, not daily.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 ednapsych said:

On Paula's website there is a very recent video (last week I think) that says that you don't need to wait to apply products and you can layer products as well. I used to wait after cleansing, to apply my RetinA because that is what the insert said to do.... I talked to my derm about this and he said absolutely don't have to wait because I have been using it for so long. Waiting between products is for people who might have sensitively. that goes along with what Paula's website says too.

Thanks ednapsych. I won't worry about it then.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree with the others that it's probably fine not to wait 30 minutes for it to be effective. I doubt any such timing is written in stone.

For some months now I've been using PC's 4 percent BHA foam twice a week. This product is recommended for night time use, due to its strength I guess. So for me it's not a problem to wait that time before applying anything else. On those two nights, I forgo the retinol serum and just follow the BHA first with my Matrixyl serum and then moisturizer.

I do let both my Vit C serum (morning) and the Matrixyl (morning and evening) absorb about ten minutes before applying any other product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland