Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have to say I'm pretty pale, I always pick the lightest color in foundation. I have never cared about looking tanned. I don't sit in the sun, self tan, or use bronzer. My brother (who has passed) use to make fun of me saying I look like I've been in prison. Anyway at my Weight Watchers meeting are  two woman who I know have built in swimming pools and spend a lot of time in the sun. They are so DARK! I don't care for the look, it also accentuates their wrinkles. I may get made fun of but I don't care being pale, and I must say my skin is holding up very well!

Stay out of the sun.  Besides the risk of getting and eventually dying of skin cancer, your skin will look like wrinkeled shoe leather..

Trusted Contributor

I am very fair and do not purposely tan.  However, when I am out for the day and get a little sun on my face, I do like the way I look.  I use a moisturizer with SPF, but I guess it wears off if I'm out for an extended period of time in the hot summer sun.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like To Look Tan

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have to say I'm pretty pale, I always pick the lightest color in foundation. I have never cared about looking tanned. I don't sit in the sun, self tan, or use bronzer. My brother (who has passed) use to make fun of me saying I look like I've been in prison. Anyway at my Weight Watchers meeting are  two woman who I know have built in swimming pools and spend a lot of time in the sun. They are so DARK! I don't care for the look, it also accentuates their wrinkles. I may get made fun of but I don't care being pale, and I must say my skin is holding up very well!

@Jordan2

I am very fair, also!  I prefer to say "fair" as opposed to "pale"!  LOL!  People say to me -- you're pale and then it makes me feel bad ---- like I look sick or unwell.  People have said unkind remarks to me about my lack of pigment as far back as I can remember!  I don't see why or how people can feel this is prefectly acceptable to do this!  It's mean!!!  I have to admit that if I could pick the tone of my skin, I would have picked a darker tone!  However, we are given what we are given.  I know that my skin is in much better condition than a lot of people I know who have perpetually tanned their whole lives.  I am not saying that everyone who tans looks old --- please, no -- I am not saying that!  I think a nice tan looks lovely!!!  And I am envious.

When I was younger I used to do damage to myself trying to sun and also going in the tanning beds!  I am paying for that now!

I applaud you for embracing your fair skin!

Now, I cannot even tolerate being in the sun as it makes me ill and causes me to have skin eruptions and bad rashes.  I hate having sensitive skin but there is nothing I can do about it.  It gets worse the older I get.  I would love to be able to go out in the sun as much as I want and not have problems.  

Well, it is, what it is!  I have accepted that this is what I have.  Finally!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

No.   In my youth I was a "sun bunny" always swimming, water skiing, or just laying out in the sun.  I had many sunburns with peeling but eventually tanned over the summer.  I thought my tans were worth it.  Boy! was I stupid!  Now I'm paying for it with brown spots and several small skin cancers I've had removed from my face and tummy (yes, I wore bikinis back then).

I'm pale and proud!  And tans on others are very unattractive to me. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

This is the very first summer I am totally pale and happy with it!  I never self-tanned, quit sun tanning in my early 40's, now am 71 and have very good skin.  

In  recent years I always used a bronzer in the summer on my face and something like Laura Geller's Tahitian Glow on my legs, arms, whatever showed. 

I got sick of every piece of clothing becoming bronzed as well, as no matter what they say some always rubbed off.  

This summer I am not even wearing any bronzer on my face.  Sometimes I'll add a touch of warmth with Laura Geller's Honeysuckle blush, but that is about it.  Nothing bronze on my body, just JM whipped Argan oil butter that gives a bit of a sheen, no sparkles, and nice moisture.

I love being pale but it sure took me a looooong time to accept and embrace it!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I like the look of a tan but I don't try to get one these days. I do try to sit out for 20 or 30 minutes a day before the sun gets too hot. It gets me some vitamin D. It just feels so good and relaxes my body.        

Honored Contributor

When I was young it was very cool to have a tan. I had one every summer until I got a terrible burn in my senior year of high school. My girlfriend and I wanted a deep tan before the Senior prom. We got crimson red and you can see it in all of the photos. I never purposely tanned again. It cured me of ever wanting one again.

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Cat HappyI never tanned but rather would get red and peel.  Once I had 2nd degree burns on my face, upper arms/neck and back.   Out in the country at a lake and playing games in the water with other people.  I was full of blisters and the pain was extreme.  In my early 20's I stopped laying in the sun.  Today I have very good skin and just wrinkles when smiling and I am 67.  I agree that the dark tan looks horrible but people have different taste as to what looks good.   Heart

you'd rather get red and peel? lol  wow! Keep that up and you're a great canidate for skin cancer. 

@Blingqueen023, I read the word "rather" as meaning "instead" in her sentence. It's often used that way. I don't think that she was saying that liked getting red and then peeling.

@suzyQ3 So did I read it that way, but either way tan or red, I've known too many people that tan and even got red and blistered that ended up with skin cancer and that included my brother that was a life guard as a kid.  Later in life your chances of getting skin cancer is great.  It's scary.  

@Blingqueen023@suzyQ3  Even those who tan easily are suseptable to skin cancer. A tan indicates sun damage, as you know.

@suzyQ3-you are so brave if you underwent an additional Efudex tx. My derm has wanted me to do it and I told him it would bve a snowball's day in he11 before I did. I do have to put some on the back of my right shin. I'll wait til weather is cooler.

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Cat HappyI never tanned but rather would get red and peel.  Once I had 2nd degree burns on my face, upper arms/neck and back.   Out in the country at a lake and playing games in the water with other people.  I was full of blisters and the pain was extreme.  In my early 20's I stopped laying in the sun.  Today I have very good skin and just wrinkles when smiling and I am 67.  I agree that the dark tan looks horrible but people have different taste as to what looks good.   Heart

you'd rather get red and peel? lol  wow! Keep that up and you're a great canidate for skin cancer. 

She did write that she stopped laying in the sun in her ealy 20's.  

She's now 67, and I'm guessing her reddness and peeling was from her younger days of being a kid in the sun, and not really thinking about the consequences.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

If I had a pretty shade of "pale," I would love that, but unfortunately my natural tone is more paste-y white, so I do use a light self-tanner in the Spring and Summer to help my skin tone look a little "prettier."

♥ Life is beauty full ♥