Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like Playing With Eyeshadow?

@SurferWife 

Last time I checked he did Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I used to watch YouTube videos and try to copy some of those looks, but I always felt uncomfortable with colored shadows.  Like @Sooner, if I wear any eye shadow at all, it's a swipe of a neutral shadow stick.   However, I have every color of eye liner pencil known to man!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

Yes I have a few colorful palettes and I'm probably too old to wear them but I do.  Very softly... purples,lavender, burgundy, pink, blue.  Also peach and soft orange, but absolutely no green or yellow on me.  Sadly for me, I look best in all the neutrals like bronze and taupe because I have blue eyes.  But I love those colorful palettes, it's almost like having all those colorful crayons when you were a kid.

Every time I apply eyeshadow I wish I had brown eyes because almost every color looks great with them.

@decaf   I'm not sure brown eyes are a "green light" to wear all colors...brights, too. I'll go out on a limb here and say that many shades of shadows, liner techniques, etc. depend more on being age appropriate.

Some women don't care about rules and go with bright oranges, dark burgundies, bright blues and winged liner after they've passed, what I personally consider, that age where eyes are not as youthful as before. At that point, using those shades and wide black liner on the lid, draws too much attention to thos flaws. 

***Apologies to those who like their brights and wear them anyway. I'm expressing my opinion based on my knowledge as a MUA.

I also need to add that some sites and youtubers with shadow/eye looks are not necessarily good on all ages and lifstyles. They may go to the extreme to sell or promote the products they've been paid to demo. That doesn't mean it's the correct colors or application techniques for every age or situation. 

Honored Contributor

No--I only use the neutral shades in the Urban Decay basics 5 shadow palette---I tossed all the other palettes with the weird colors a few years ago---

Respected Contributor

I use a lot of Mac e/s & if they didn't come in the pro palette refille I depot them & put them in the 15 pan palettes.

I have arranged them by color, mostly. 

I recently took them all out of the palettes & put them in alphabetically, So the colors are totally random! 

And, then I try to use the colors in one of the palettes for that day. It's a challange & it's fun.

So instead of a palette of purples or greens or browns or corals, I have a palette with one of each.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShanusThanks for your good advice. Most of my (subdued) use of color is saved for going out after dark (rarely these days) and I haven't worn black eyeliner.... probably ever!   Gray, navy, brown is as adventurous as I get. Only young blue eyes can wear black liner.  I guess I missed that opportunity, eyeliner wasn't worn that much when I was that age. Mostly eyeshadow and lots of mascara.

I know what you're saying about makeup as you mature, everything you did previously starts to look a bit too 'harsh'. That's also why I gave up my Allure Magazine subscription recently, I just can't relate to most of the makeup ideas they're showing.

I really enjoy reading your MUA advice for women here. It's very helpful, I appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@ShanusThanks for your good advice. Most of my (subdued) use of color is saved for going out after dark (rarely these days) and I haven't worn black eyeliner.... probably ever!   Gray, navy, brown is as adventurous as I get. Only young blue eyes can wear black liner.  I guess I missed that opportunity, eyeliner wasn't worn that much when I was that age. Mostly eyeshadow and lots of mascara.

I know what you're saying about makeup as you mature, everything you did previously starts to look a bit too 'harsh'. That's also why I gave up my Allure Magazine subscription recently, I just can't relate to most of the makeup ideas they're showing.

I really enjoy reading your MUA advice for women here. It's very helpful, I appreciate it!

@decaf   You're so welcome. I know I get quite opinionated sometimes and realize some are put off by that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  I would hope that if you take time to share your knowledge or give someone helpful advice they would receive it as a thoughtful gift.  I do, thank you again.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm , Yes and yes!!!  I don't even use neutrals anymore. My eyelids are already neutral, lol. When I apply bold colors, I keep it low, close to the eye line.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo I most of all don't get red eyeshadow or purple that makes one look as if they have participated in mayhem at the local bar.