Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Your Eye Shape?

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Close set -- he said if it looks like your eye could fit inbetween the space between both eyes, then you have close set. I forget what he said about wide set but I do remember he mentioned that many models have wide set eyes.

Thanks for trying to help!  I remember all that, but I couldn't figure it out.  I guess that's why I'm not a make-up artist or an artist of any kind.  My eyes do seem to be deep-set because I can't put dark shadow on the lids or, God forbid, in the creases without making them look distorted.  I thought I'd figure out maybe some new eye make-up techniques, but I guess it was not to be!

Honored Contributor

Deep set

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Thank you! Now I know that I am standard. Love Wayne!

Contributor

I watched the video and STILL no clue what my eye shape is. I am confused. However, thank you to the OP because I did enjoy the eyebrow video too! 

Respected Contributor

I always wondered why my eye makeup never looked that great until a MUA told me my eye shape and  how to apply eye makeup for that shape which is deep set. Since I learned how to apply makeup for my eye shape all of a sudden my eye makeup looked 100% better. If you are unsure what eyeshape you have go to a makeup counter and ask them and have them apply makeup for your eye shape. Plus Robert Jones MUA  has books that talk about makeup and eyeshapes are in it.

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Close set -- he said if it looks like your eye could fit inbetween the space between both eyes, then you have close set. I forget what he said about wide set but I do remember he mentioned that many models have wide set eyes.

Thanks for trying to help!  I remember all that, but I couldn't figure it out.  I guess that's why I'm not a make-up artist or an artist of any kind.  My eyes do seem to be deep-set because I can't put dark shadow on the lids or, God forbid, in the creases without making them look distorted.

>>>  I thought I'd figure out maybe some new eye make-up techniques, but I guess it was not to be!

@Ms X - That's exactly what I was trying to achieve.  I do wear mid-tone & darker shadow- especially in the crease and outer corners. But now I'm experimenting with lighter shadow across the entire lid.  I have a lot of lid show. 

BTW, I find hooded eyes beautiful. Sometime Google celebrities with hooded eyes and you'll see what I mean- or Google your eye shape/type if you can figure it out.  Kate Moss is a good example of wide-set eyes.  Jennifer Aniston is a good example of close set eyes. All shapes & types are beautiful.  Extreme hooding wouldn't be good and could impair eyesight.

I've had professional makeup done once.  The artist did a very light eye and didn't apply darker shadow at the natural crease but closer to the brow bone.  Now I get why.  I have almond shaped eyes as well... so eye shape & type can be a combination of variables.

Last night for a dinner out I used lighter shadow across the entire lid and it did look better. 

There's tons of info on eye shape and how to play up your eyes based on shape & type online if one is curious enough and tired of the same shadow & liner rut, like I've been in.

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I always wondered why my eye makeup never looked that great until a MUA told me my eye shape and  how to apply eye makeup for that shape which is deep set. Since I learned how to apply makeup for my eye shape all of a sudden my eye makeup looked 100% better. If you are unsure what eyeshape you have go to a makeup counter and ask them and have them apply makeup for your eye shape. Plus Robert Jones MUA  has books that talk about makeup and eyeshapes are in it.

@cuddlesmama- Thanks for the great suggestion & info!  I have utmost respect for Robert Jones, have watched some of his videos & will keep an eye out for his book.  Since I have deepset eyes too, did your MUA do a lighter eye playing up your lashes?

Honored Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bdkpypZKE

This brief video is a good place to start. Wayne Goss (and others) have more in-depth videos on eyeshadow & liner tips for various eye shapes & eye lids  but this covers the basics on determining your shape, lid and how to enhance your particular shape.

According to this I have standard eyes (not wide or close-set).  Also by his definition "a lot of eyelid show" I also have deep-set eyes;

Maybe I'm a slow learner but I didn't realize what a difference it makes once you know the eyeshadow and liner tricks based on your eye shape.

There is no bad eye shape.  They can all be made beautiful once you determine your shape or combination of eye type & know the application techniques.  Some are easier to work with.  Others like mine take more work.  Naturally. Woman Wink

@Funloving***Thank you SO very much for taking the time to put this up!  I ran across this guy a while back and like him very much!  What a talent!  You found him for me!  Thanks so very much!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Funloving wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bdkpypZKE

This brief video is a good place to start. Wayne Goss (and others) have more in-depth videos on eyeshadow & liner tips for various eye shapes & eye lids  but this covers the basics on determining your shape, lid and how to enhance your particular shape.

According to this I have standard eyes (not wide or close-set).  Also by his definition "a lot of eyelid show" I also have deep-set eyes;

Maybe I'm a slow learner but I didn't realize what a difference it makes once you know the eyeshadow and liner tricks based on your eye shape.

There is no bad eye shape.  They can all be made beautiful once you determine your shape or combination of eye type & know the application techniques.  Some are easier to work with.  Others like mine take more work.  Naturally. Woman Wink

@Funloving***Thank you SO very much for taking the time to put this up!  I ran across this guy a while back and like him very much!  What a talent!  You found him for me!  Thanks so very much!

Oh how sweet of you @ECBG. I'm glad I could help & you're more than welcome!   Wayne is one of my very favorites for sure.  You can always type in his name on You Tube or subscribe to his channel.  He's pretty funny, too.  The only time it gets frustrating is when he raves about a product sold in the UK that hasn't made it to the states yet (if ever).  Wayne makes it sound & look so good you really NEED to try it.  lol  He's a peach for sure--Very knowledgeable.  He also collaborated with Paula Begoun on a limited edition matte eyeshadow palette, many of the ladies here purchased and love.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I can't figure out my eye shape.  I only know It's not hooded.  I've also never been able to figure out my face shape from those articles they always put in magazines.  I always thought I had a square face, but one hairdresser said it was heart shaped.  I don't see it, but who knows?  Am I the only one who is unable to figure this out?

Don't feel bad I have similar issues pinpointing my hair type. I actually was on  (I think) the Deva site and it gave pretty good indicators like dropping a single strand in water; if it sinks your hair is dense! Eureka! lol It was actually helpful with the labels.

I bet you can find something similar for facial stuff