Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have To Give Your Hair Stylist A Holiday Gift

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

You don't "have" to give anyone anything.

@HappyDaze

Hey, how are you?

@Drythe hi my friend. I am hanging in there. That is about the best I can say at this point, lol. Hope you are doing well? Still rescuing our beloved animals I am sure. Heart I need to get your advice about a situation with a neighbor and her "pets".

@HappyDaze

Our friend the b knows how.  She'll show you the way.  Hang on.  Did you see my post on Pet Lovers?  Some good news.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Let me toss this out as the Devil's advocate--so to speak:  If a hairdresser is expected to charge seniors less, won't the price go up for everyone?  I mean they figure costs to cover their expenses and profits and probably figure tips in when thinking what to charge.  So people who don't tip raise the price for everyone.  

Not arguing a point here, just thinking.  Also, any time you give a gift instead of cash you are in essence costing the provider money from what would have been profits from their business.  I think service people in reality are providing a service for pay.  So to me, they should be getting cash because the are a business, not personal friends.  EVEN IF they are personal friends it is their business.

How would I like to get a gift rather than part of my paycheck?  Just playing Devil's advocate here.  Just something I've wondered about. . . 

Respected Contributor

my stylist gets a christmas bonus from me every year as well as my manicurist and any service provider. 

Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

I am somewhat confused, however, shouldn't the vendor be giving the customer the gift?  In the business world it is the other way around.  For instance, the shipper would give the customer the gift not visa versa.  Why would a customer be giving a gift to someone they pay all the time?  Where did this start?  Anyway, be that as it may, gift giving shouldn't be a burden, an obligation or a financial hardship. 

I totally agree.  I don't give gifts to people I pay a service for.  Your regular business is what counts and they should be providing you a gift.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

I am somewhat confused, however, shouldn't the vendor be giving the customer the gift?  In the business world it is the other way around.  For instance, the shipper would give the customer the gift not visa versa.  Why would a customer be giving a gift to someone they pay all the time?  Where did this start?  Anyway, be that as it may, gift giving shouldn't be a burden, an obligation or a financial hardship. 

I totally agree.  I don't give gifts to people I pay a service for.  Your regular business is what counts and they should be providing you a gift.

I meant to add in my previous post that the salon was giving out a choice of shampoo or conditioner to their clients -- nice gesture and to your point.

Contributor

A gift is just that, a "gift".   It is never mandated or expected.  It is a personal decision if you want to give someone something or not.  If you do gift someone one year that doesn't even mean you are obligated to gift them the next year.  All of those lists that are put out every year telling you what you should give to this person or that person should be totally ignored.   Gift giving or tipping everyone you come in contact with around the Holidays is a practice that is getting out of hand.  If someone has gone out of their way to help you or has given you good service throughout the year, then gifting that person is appropriate.    However, it should only be what you want, or are able, to give, not a dollar amount  set by someone else.  If you have limited funds, a heartfelt note of appreciation or a batch of cookies you made should suffice.

For me personally, I give a generous gift to my hairdresser. I have been with her for a long time, she will fit me in whenever I need her, and she makes me look great.  This is the only service provider I gift as she is the only person who goes out of her way for me the whole year.

An example of who I  don't gift?    We have a community newspaper that is delivered weekly.  All year it is thrown wherever, on the sidewalk, in the yard, on top of my porch roof, etc.   The week before Christmas the paper is lovingly placed right up against my door with an envelope in it for a tip.  Yea, right!  

This is a long rant, but this is a subject that has always bothered me.  I just really feel this is a personal decision and should never be an obligation. 

Super Contributor

I would not give any additional tip. Your 20 dollar tip is very generous. 

i did go to a very fancy salon for a while and the prices were so high. the owner gave out 2 samples to the customers at xmas. 2 samples. so my tip was more than enough.and the services did not match their high prices and kind of snooty vibe.

I go to Ulta salon now and the prices are so reasonalble and you can use coupons sometimes which helps as I am retired. The stylist that I go to whould be on newbury street in Boston charging 200. dollars acut, so I am just lucky and grateful for as long as she stays. generous tip.

Honored Contributor

@Hershey2 wrote:

It`s not necessary to tip the owner of the shop.  Your mother is more than generouss with her $20 tip, she should give the same.  What does she have done for $88..00 each time she goes?

When she pays $88 she gets her hair washed, cut, colored, and blown out. I took her 2 weeks ago just for a wash and blow out (she had a holiday party from her seniors group). She has really only gone to him about 5 times.I think she may just give him an extra $10.

Esteemed Contributor

Another Devil's Advocate here..... I've never understood why we're expected to tip a stylist or barber.  

If I have an appointment in December, I'll take her a pointsettia.   This year I won't get another haircut till mid-January.   Honestly, I'm relieved to read that most of you feel an extra holiday gift is not necessary.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

If it is someone I have been going to for a long time and I like her and how she does my hair - consistant good results - yes I do give her a Christmas gift, cash only , usually the cost of one haircut. This year my stylist moved far away so I have only been to my new lady once. I have my second appt. on NYE. I will not be giving her the usual gift but just her regular 20% tip. Next year, assuming she continues to do a great job , she will get a Christmas gift.