Honored Contributor

Do You Have To Give Your Hair Stylist A Holiday Gift

I am taking my elderly mother to get the works at the hair salon on Wednesday. She is fairly new there, maybe about 4 or 6 months. She has the owner do her hair. It costs $88 and she gives a $20 tip. She is on a fixed income. Does she have to give a monetary tip for the holiday? If so how much?I was thinking she could give him $30 or $35 instead of the usually $20.TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have To Give Your Hair Stylist A Holiday Gift

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am taking my elderly mother to get the works at the hair salon on Wednesday. She is fairly new there, maybe about 4 or 6 months. She has the owner do her hair. It costs $88 and she gives a $20 tip. She is on a fixed income. Does she have to give a monetary tip for the holiday? If so how much?I was thinking she could give him $30 or $35 instead of the usually $20.TIA

@Jordan2  Your idea is absolute fine, and kind, but not required.  I'm sure the stylist will appreciate it, but he also probably doesn't expect anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

That is just fine, but not even necessary.   Your mother is on a fixed income and the owner is still working and owns the salon.  I myself had my hair cut today and this is only the second time I've been to her.  Also on a fixed income I gave an additional $10.

Honored Contributor

I go to a two person shop, and I give my stylist 30.00 in a card. I also give each woman a loaf of apple bread, because they really like it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

You do not have to give a holiday gift. Her regular tip is generous.

Honored Contributor

Not at all. Her tip is plenty.

I think that gift giving has really gotten out of hand.

Christmas shouldn't be stressful for anyone.

It is the time of year for peace and happinessHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Not at all. Her tip is plenty.

I think that gift giving has really gotten out of hand.

Christmas shouldn't be stressful for anyone.

It is the time of year for peace and happinessHeart

I agree with you.  

Honored Contributor

I don't change my tip for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

You don't "have" to give anyone anything.

Respected Contributor

I also have just switched to a new stylist.  Been to him maybe three times.  I tip well over 20%, only because I'm very pleased.   I won't be making it in to see him until after Christmas, and will have a pricey ticket.  So I don't think I'll give an additional gift this year.    Maybe next year, if I'm still with him.   My relative is a hair stylist, and I can tell you, they really appreciate the extra cash, but it's a personal preference whether one chooses to tip above or give extra money.   If I were a stylist, I wouldn't expect extra from seniors, especially your mom also having a hefty ticket.  Her bussiness should be appreciated.   One thing I can add...don't bother with a mug, or candy either...you'd be better off upping the tip even 5 bucks if you feel you really want to give something.