Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Do Your Own Nails O have Them Done???

I inherited my mother's nails - well shaped and strong.  She showed me how to do a proper manicure when I was probably 11 or 12 years old and I never looked back. My nails are always polished, always done by moi.  I've only had a professional mani twice, both times by highly recommended nail techs, and both times I was not impressed.

I use a base coat and top coat of Duri Rejuvacote, with two applications of polish in between.  I haven't found that more expensive polishes last any better than the cheaper ones, as long as I have that base coat and top coat.  My boxes of polish include everything from Sally Hansen to Opi and the collection seems to grow and grow.  I love nail polish!

Never had a pedi in my life.  I've always kept my toenails polished during sandal weather, which is at least 6 months around here.  The brighter the color, the better lol.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I have had many mani/pedis over the years but started doing my own after Covid. I'm back to wearing my nails very short and use a base coat, one coat of neutral polish and two coats of top coat (hands and feet).

Honored Contributor

I just had mine done today.  'After a couple of months of fun, bright colors, I went for the classic pink-n-white ombré.

A4B74C9E-CFBF-4259-9B9C-92D5367D4C36.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Both salons that I would consider using closed during covid.  I can do my own nails quite well, but I really want to get a pedicure.   I have to find the gal who did my nails for about 5 years.  She was so good ... she must still be working ... I hope.

Respected Contributor

Your manicure looks very pretty @SurferWife .

Esteemed Contributor

I never had a manicure or pedicure. I have applied nail polish a few years ago, but couldn't wear it at work (hospital dietary dept.) due to rules. Now that I'm retired, I got out of the habit of wearing it. 

I wear my fingernails short and keep them clean and filed. Occasionally I apply a clear base coating to protect them. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I used to do my own fingernails.   Now, only for special occasions...like a wedding, shower, etc. I've never had a pedi...I do my feet myself. It is getting hard for me to cut and file my own toenails. My back and hip  are not cooperating so I may have to rethink pedi's.  I no longer wear sandals.  I can only wear them with socks and not sure I like that look!!!! I do miss my sandals.  When I did wear them my toenails were alway polished. I have a thing about "bare toenails" in sandals.....something I never liked to see!

Trusted Contributor

I always do my own nails-- hands and feet.  I have had them done and I think I do a better job of making them all uniform and painting the entire naiil.  In my experience, at all different price points, they rush through and make those amatuer mistakes.  

I usually have my toes done in a bright color or a flesh tone.  My hands I usually use the Perfect Gel Coat in the orginal or ruby colors. I do my toes when one chips, about 3 weeks and my hands every week. 

I don't use primers or top coats.  Which makes my cosemotology friends crazy.  LOL. But all in all, my nails on both hands and feet are pretty nice.  I keep them short and square shaped.  

Trusted Contributor

I do my own nails.  I use a cuticle cream and Color Street gel nail strips.  I can get 10-12 days out of the Color Street.  I could  never keep bottled nail polish on my nails, even with base and top coats.

Valued Contributor

I go back and forth. For years I had acrylics and I loved them. Then I stopped and went off nail salons for a year or two at a time.  After awhile, I realized why I had them done at the salon. They coat your nails with gel and they don't chip, nor do they break or snag. When I don't have them done, mine are soft and weak.  Many people think they can overcome this but honestly, it's heredity. My dad's side of the family have these kind of nails.  

I did nails at a nursing home volunteering for over 8 years.  Some ladies in their late 90s had the most gorgeous hard lovely nails. When I asked them were they always that way, they said yes.....always.  So it's my experience "you either got em or you don't".  At the moment, I have gel nails and I get french with colored tips. They are short.  I can go almost 4 weeks before I need a fill.  Yes, it's an expense but so is restaurant dining, cruises, gambling, drinking, etc. etc.  I dont do any of those lol!