Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Do Your Own Nails O have Them Done???

@ECBG   I have been doing my nails since I was 7 years old.

I never was one to bite my nails, but I would peel them if one split. One day I was sitting at my desk in 3rd grade and decided

that I would stop peeling my nails.

I got a bottle of nail polish and started doing them. Then I started doing nails for other little girls in the neighborhood. I charged them 5 cents. (in 1954)

I can't see spending money to have someone do my nails. Like you I start with a base coat, two layers of nail polish and a

top coat. I also use Barielle nail and cuticle creams. Hand cream is important too. I have been using hand cream since I was about 9 years old. Back in the 50's it was Jergen's hand lotion that I used , now I use Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream or

Perlier.

Trusted Contributor

I've never had a professional manicure or pedicure.  I do my nails every Sunday.  Luckily my nails are fairly strong, though they do break a bit when the seaons change.  I'm a programmer so I'm constantly typing and I let my nails grow until they start to interfere with that.  I love to use different colors, though the older I get the less I use dark or really bright colors.  Now I prefer lighter purples, pinks, greens or blues.

I'm not sure what I would do if my nails didn't grow.  I much prefer polished nails but I really don't like the fake look of some thick gel nails.  I guess my philosophy would be the same as it is with makeup - people should do what they like and the h*** with what other people think!

Honored Contributor

I only file my nails.  Polish doesn't do them any good, and anyway I wear it off too quickly and I'm just not a fan of long nails anyway.  I'm a natural nail person--like you mostly see Martha Stewart.  We're busy people!  LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

I've been getting them professionally done (both hands & feet) for 30+ years.  It's my pleasure in life & as long as I can budget it, I'll continue to get them done professionally.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I started getting pedicures when a nail salon opened next to the hair salon I go to. They gave out discount coupons. I've been going ever since.

I do my own fingernails because I like to play with colors. At first I was strictly OPI, and I bought seasonal colors. One season I thought they were getting too sparkly and the sales rep. told me about Essie. So I alternated depending on which brand had colors I liked better!

A few years ago I discovered Live, Love, Polish (now called Mooncat) and Olive and June. I tend to wear those more now. Right now I have "Firecracker" by Live, Love, Polish on.

One time on vacation I got gels. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about them chipping, but it felt like something I wasn't used to was on my fingers. They lasted about 4 weeks.

I've never had acrylics. DD is famous for hers. She and her manicurist come up with some pretty and interesting designs!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The first manicure I ever got was a bridesmaid's gift to me before my wedding.

I remember it being in a very nice hotel.

Anyway, I've never loved getting nails and esp toenails done. I don't really trust people in a salon. I have been cut a few times.

The only one I remember really enjoying was one where a guy did an incredible hand arm massage. He was a swimmer (and me too) so he really knew the sore aching muscles. and they also provided a lovely glass of wine lol!

So now in summer when we get to wear all our prettiest flipflops, thongs, sandals I do my own and the rest of the year also do my own fingernails and always have.

The best nail polish I've found is Sally Hanson INstadry.

Here is why-it is one of a very few polishes that have a square brush that somehow does not drip, goes on the nail with one swipe and stays and lasts for several weeks or more on toes at least.  On toes, I use a teal green in the summer and nothing in the winter.It can be found in most stores and is inexpensive compared to others. And great colors too.

Both my daughters and daughter in law would love a "mani-pedi" or spa day or massage as a gift but I would not at all. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Regular Contributor

I use ColorStreet nails.  They're a little pricey, but the colors, glitters and designs are unique and beautiful.  They're easy to apply with no dry time.

Respected Contributor

Never had a manicure.  I have had a couple of pedicures and enjoyed them but just never want to get out and take the time.  I do my own pedicure and keep my toenails painted but my fingernails I keep trimmed and filed and rarely paint them.  My hands seem to be in water and scrubbing something every day so polish does not last long

enough to be worth the effort.

Esteemed Contributor

I had one manicure back in 1970. I prefer to do my own nails.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I only got my nails done once and didn't care for it.  I used to do nail polish every day, but now rarely wear it.  I'm low maintenance --- clean, file and moisturize!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin