Honored Contributor

Do You Do Your Own Nails O have Them Done???

Do you do your own nails or have them done?

When I taught I had gel nails for cleanness.  

I do my own nails now, and just use a primer, 2 coats of  good polish like OPI and a high shine coat.

I save a whopping amount and don't have an appointment to keep!

Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Do Your Own Nails O have Them Done???

I wore acrylics for years. I do my own now. I am experimenting with products. Do you mind sharing what primer you use. That seems to be one of the most important elements to keep the polish on.

Respected Contributor

I used to get a regular manicure every week. With covid I stopped going. I noticed that my nails were much better. They stopped peeling and rarely break. I have to cut them. Sometimes I use Londontown illuminating Nail Concealer, sometimes just a clear basecoat. Saving lots of money.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   I do my own manicures.  Same as you, primer, two coats Opi or Essie, a VERY shiny top coat.  About every 5-6 days.  

My feet, I get maybe 5 or 6 gel pedicures a year,  almost never without polish on both hands and feet.  Mostly, pinks/reds/corals.  No blacks, navy, deep dark colors or beige/nude colors.  I know, set in my ways.   Love colorful hands and feet.  I love sandal season! 

Trusted Contributor

I had a professional manicure 1x in my life. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@gtx wrote:

I wore acrylics for years. I do my own now. I am experimenting with products. Do you mind sharing what primer you use. That seems to be one of the most important elements to keep the polish on.

@gtx 

Certainly.  My pleasure.

After trimming, cutting, filing, and pushing back cuticles, I put on a coat of Revlon Quick Dry Base Coat.

If time allows, I let it dry.

Then I put on two coats of OPI polish. 

In summer, I really like I'm Not Really A Waitress because it goes with pinks and reds!

Revlon Extra Life No Chip Top Coat

Then I spray the heck out of each finger with ONYX Nail Dryer spray.  I don't get smears or anything else.

Just guard against dents!

Regular Contributor

I've never in my life had a manicure or pedicure. 🤷‍♀️

I don't do anything to my nails ... well, except maybe bite at 'em whilst watching football games! 🤪🙈🏈

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@ECBG   I do my own manicures.  Same as you, primer, two coats Opi or Essie, a VERY shiny top coat.  About every 5-6 days.  

My feet, I get maybe 5 or 6 gel pedicures a year,  almost never without polish on both hands and feet.  Mostly, pinks/reds/corals.  No blacks, navy, deep dark colors or beige/nude colors.  I know, set in my ways.   Love colorful hands and feet.  I love sandal season! 

@lynnie61 

I get almost two weeks with a one coat of color  and Revlon High Shine.

Respected Contributor

I have never had a professional manicure or pedicure. I do not wear polish, just try to keep nails clean, trimmed, and moisturized.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep my nails neat and occasionally polish them.  I do like a pedicure ( 4-6 wks) but in a pinch ( Covid and multi week cruises) I can and do toenails myself.  What I've really saved money on since Sept 2019 is haircuts ( I've had Zilch).  My hair is grayish white and curly when wet. I bought a haircut template, shears and thinning shears and DH trims it( below shoulders) for me bi-monthly( I cut his hair bi-weekly).  We are ahead by two- three thousand dollars.