Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Do Your Own Nails O have Them Done???

I do my own.  I swim laps every weekday for exercise and it is hard on my nails.  I use Insta-dry polish every few days since the pool also eats away the polish.  I use a neutral color and my nails are fairly short.  I use Insta-dry on my toenails, too, once a week.

Honored Contributor

I like my nails very short so I take care of them and polish a very light sheer pink or an off white sheer.  For a treat I will get a manicure.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I used to only get a pedicure during the summer months but now I get one every month.  During the colder months I skip the polish and let my nails breathe.

I have only had one manicure my entire life and that was for my wedding.  I keep my nails very short and buff them myself. 

Honored Contributor

Never had good nails so they are plain and short. I've given myself pedicures so my toes aren't too bad.

Contributor

I am so glad to see so many people that have never had a professional manicure or pedicure like myself.  I do my own nails (an OPI base coat, followed by 2 coats of OPI polish).  If I get a chip, I simply file the nail and touch it up.  I would rather spend the money that I have saved on a new top or sweater.  A friend has been getting her nails professiionally done every 2 weeks since her daughter got married in 1988.  That is a lot of money she has spent over the years.  No wonder she is still working at age 78 yrs.old! Many of my friends get their nails done.  It is more of a "status " thing.  I guess that I am odd, but more financially secure.  LOL...

Esteemed Contributor

I did gel nails at a salon for many years.  Of course Covid stopped that and the salons were closed for awhile.  I did go back but of course the prices had gone up, understandably, but they kept going up.  So I decided to try to do my own which I never was very good at.  I've been doing them for about a year now, not constantly but I do a home mani/pedi about once a month or so.  I do care about having neat, pretty nails even when I am not wearing polish.  

I have been using Londontown Nail Lakur I got on HSN and I have to say the polish stays on pretty good and I'm improving as I go.  Saving a ton of money $$$.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG    I've always done my own mani/pedis except if we're on a vacation where a spa's available and then I treat myself to plain manicure...no gels, etc.

My hands get a workout between doing makeup, making jewelry and painting. I'm constantly washing them and putting gloves on and off. Even w/ my nail hardener, top gel coat (just Sally Hansen), I still may get a chip and have to do them every week. Going to a salon and spending a lot of money for this is useless for me.

Hey, do you have days of storms there, too?

Honored Contributor

Have my toes done monthly--my finger nails are horrible still, after going thru chemo 10 years ago---Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

My goodness, your hands get a workout!  

For makeup, you might consider "food safe" gloves which I use from amazon.  They really save me like when I just cut a giant bowl of red, yellow, and green bell peppers and onion to pan roast to put over cube steak simmered in Worcestershire with a touch of soy.

My skin is eternally dry from years on accutane.

We are getting spotty, heavy rain from high heat.

You?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus 

For makeup, you might consider "food safe" gloves which I use from amazon.  They really save me like when I just cut a giant bowl of red, yellow, and green bell peppers and onion to pan roast to put over cube steak simmered in Worcestershire with a touch of soy.

You?

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus 

You?

@ECBG   ....a bit of rain, lots of heat and some thunder last night.

I wear surgical gloves...tight fitting so I have my dexterity. My hands get hot/sweaty, so it takes a toll on cuticles, for sure.