Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Buy or Not Buy Cosmetics Depending on Where They Are Made?

I try to buy as many products as I can that are made in the US- that goes for everything in my life, not just cosmetics- but no, not all of my products are. Much of it is but not 100%. I do not mind spending more $$ for products made in the USA either. To me, it is worth it. Cruelty free is probably my biggest factor in determining which items to buy but made in the US is a close second.

Contributor

I absolutely will not use cosmetics or food products of any sort if they are made in China due to their manufacturing practices and my inability to trust labeling, ingredients, etc.  I don't care how good everyone says it is, I will not use IT cosmetics for this reason.  There are too many choices, lots of excellent and cost effective alternatives.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

Not if it's a brand/product that I use already. Let's say for example Philosophy. I love their shower gels, if they would move production to China, I would keep on using it unless I found the Quality did not live up to what I was use to.

On the flip side of that if someone came up to me and ask me to try a product that was made in China that I had never heard of before, I would say no thank you.

I guess that It all depends upon our individual comfort levels. 

Guess what, Philosophy was sold to a China company over a year ago and China does animal testing, if that matters to you.

Not judging, just letting you know....

@KingstonsMom, Philosophy was not sold to a Chinese company.  Christina Carlino sold it to a private equity firm in NYC (Carlyle, if I'm not mistaken), and they, in turn, eventually sold it to Coty, Inc., which is not a Chinese company.  Coty still owns it.

Esteemed Contributor

I read the back of the label to see where a cosmetic is made. You still can't always tell when a company says it's made from foreign and domestic parts.

Today I looked at a Cargo lipstick trio that was on sale at London Drugs in Canada and I was surprised it was made in China. I see a lot of color cosmetics that are made in China now and I prefer not to buy those that are made there.

Honored Contributor

I'm faithful to one brand for skin care and makeup (including hair care, body products and now even some housecleaning products).  Not only because of where they are made (here in the US), but even more importantly the ingredients used.  All organic.

That alone (organic) seems to *bother* some people. 

Not my problem!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

Not if it's a brand/product that I use already. Let's say for example Philosophy. I love their shower gels, if they would move production to China, I would keep on using it unless I found the Quality did not live up to what I was use to.

On the flip side of that if someone came up to me and ask me to try a product that was made in China that I had never heard of before, I would say no thank you.

Guess what, Philosophy was sold to a China company over a year ago and China does animal testing, if that matters to you.

@KingstonsMom Philosphy is owned by Coty which is not a Chinese company. And China does not require animal testing on products manufactured in China, only those products being sold to China. However, there are non-animal testing methods a company can choose to prove safety but it is more costly so most don't go this route, like Peter Thomas Roth who had to remove his cruely free labeling. Isomers is one company that does sell to China but proved safety to the Chinese government via non-animal testing methods. Just an FYI! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@KingstonsMom Philosphy is owned by Coty which is not a Chinese company. And China does not require animal testing on products manufactured in China, only those products being sold to China. However, there are non-animal testing methods a company can choose to prove safety but it is more costly so most don't go this route, like Peter Thomas Roth who had to remove his cruely free labeling. Isomers is one company that does sell to China but proved safety to the Chinese government via non-animal testing methods. Just an FYI! Smiley Happy

@HappyDaze

Coty is lsted as a company that DOES do animal testing, which is my personal guideline for what I will or will not buy.

http://vidacompassion.org/main/list/company.html

From Wikipedia:

Manufacturing

Coty's manufacturing facilities are located in Ashford, United Kingdom; Granollers, Spain; Chartres, France; Monaco; Jiangsu Province, China; Sanford, North Carolina, Los Angeles, California, and Phoenix, Arizona, United States.[18

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

IG....is this old or new info from what you read?  It looks like there are some discrepancies online.  thanks

https://www.truthorfiction.com/starkist-korean/

It was an FDA article, here is one about Starkist's practices. I'll have to find the FDA one later. I'm off to lunch & shoppng with DD!

Have a great day!

http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews/22433/south-korean-tuna-company-charged-with-defrauding-us-gover...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I stay away from cosmetics made in Asia.  I buy from US, France, Italy or Canada, and maybe a few other places generally.  I just don't trust things from China because of their history of adding "unusual" items to products.

Does that bother you?

I absolutely stay away from anything made in Asia.  I agree with you 100%.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@HappyDaze

Coty is lsted as a company that DOES do animal testing, which is my personal guideline for what I will or will not buy.

http://vidacompassion.org/main/list/company.html

From Wikipedia:

Manufacturing

Coty's manufacturing facilities are located in Ashford, United Kingdom; Granollers, Spain; Chartres, France; Monaco; Jiangsu Province, China; Sanford, North Carolina, Los Angeles, California, and Phoenix, Arizona, United States.[18

@KingstonsMom oh you misunderstand my post. I absolutely do not use products from companies that test on animals, including those claiming to be cruelty free but are owned by parent companies that do. So I am NOT a philosophy advocate by any means because Coty tests on animals but you had stated that Philosophy was owned by a Chinese company and they are not- Coty is based on New York (I believe) so I was clarifying that. I also was clarifying the fact that  products MADE In China are not required to be tested on animals- is is only those products that are SOLD to China that the Chinese government requires animal testing. Those two things are completely different than the discussion about companies that test on animals.

I was only clarifying your points about China and animal testing not about Philosophy and their parent company Coty still testing on animals. On that we can agree!