Esteemed Contributor

It's personal preference.... I use primers because I have extremely oily skin, and some primers control oil and keep my foundation from getting too 'greasy' over time.  There are different primers for different purposes.  I have oil control primers, silicone primers, and neutralizing primers.  Truthfully, I have more primers than I have foundations.  It's all about keeping my foundation fresh-looking over several hours.

My favorite primer?  Mally's Neutralizing Perfect Prep.  It camoflages the blotches and gives me a perfectly even-toned complexion, plus keeps my complexion grease-free for hours.  

(psst! @lavendar -- Kohl's has e.l.f. products, and you can use Kohl's coupons)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Only use primers for the eyes.  I don't use a primer foundations for facial makeup.  An Urban Decay girl here.  I use eyelid and lash primers. 

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Do I need a primer? I wear IT Foundations and of course when I first bought it they said it's all you need. Then they came out with more products. Like WEN started.

The Tatcha primer is intriguing. It comes in a travel size so it's not a big investment.

If you use it, please give me your opinion. Also does anyone use it alone, without a foundation?

@lavendar   Personally, it's an extra step I prefer to leave out. Some can blur or give the illusion of smoother skin, but I have always gone the route of good skin care, no rough patches w/ proper exfoliation. 

Professional, I do use primer...usually Laura Mercier or Smashbox. It does even out the skin and prep for foundation. It also helps makeup last longer by providing a barrier between skincare and foundation. 

Honored Contributor

I've never used primer on my face although I wouldn't mind trying.  I always use a lash primer prior to mascara application.  The one that works best for me is Lancome's lash primer.  I purchase mine from HSN.

Respected Contributor

For me I prefer a primer because it just adds another layer of hydration for me. For someone who may have rugged texture to their skin, I would think that a priimer would be necessary. You could experiment and see if your makeup really lasts any longer using a primer. I have read that some makeup artists think that a primer is just a marketing ploy. 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

For me I prefer a primer because it just adds another layer of hydration for me. For someone who may have rugged texture to their skin, I would think that a priimer would be necessary. You could experiment and see if your makeup really lasts any longer using a primer. I have read that some makeup artists think that a primer is just a marketing ploy. 

@Tricolor  Some mu artists do not use primers. It depends on the client's skin and the occasion. I always use it on brides: makeup lasts longer, cancels out any camera issues caused by spf because it's applied afterwards and blurs imperfections for photos. It really is an unnessary step. Oily skins can't tolerate any silicone primers...mu slides off and on really dry skin can, it can cause foundation to pill up. It's a hit or miss product. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RooRoo wrote:

I use the Tatcha primer just under my eyes after I put eye cream on in the morning.

My experience with it is just use a little bit, and don't smear it on, press it into your skin.

It really keeps my concealer on way longer and without creasing.  I've tried it all over my

face & didn't like it.  I don't regularly use primer on my face so I wasnt surprised I didnt like it all over.  I also have just the $20 travel size, I love it.

@RooRoo  .. can you tell me which Tatcha Primer you use?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks in advance.  

Super Contributor
Sure, it's the silk canvas balm In the travel size ($20) at Sephora. I use so very little the travel size will last forever. Keeps my eye cream on but it almost creates a silky barrier for the. Concealer. Just let eye cream sink in then let your primer absorb well. It works so well.
Honored Contributor

@lavendar - I started using one when I discovered Laura Geller shortly after I "found" QVC. What she said made sense to me - think of painting a wall and you need spackle first. I still use her Spackle - Champagne is my favorite. It gives my warm skin a glow and it feels good! 

I also use a finishing spray or balm. I used to use Mally's Face Defender, but I don't like the new formulation of this, so now I use Dr. Feelgood or one of the many finishing sprays. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I use the silk canvad and I love it, use it on my lips and under my eyes, my skin seems brighter