Respected Contributor

Re: Do I REALLY need a serum?

Your Welcome @SilleeMee Smiley Happy I hope you love it as much as I do!

Valued Contributor

I like the way my skin feels and looks with Bobbi Brown extra serum repair.  I use the hydrating moisturizer on top.  Keeps my skin feeling hydrated and plumped all,day.  I do notice in winter if I skip the serum step!  I have always had drier skin.  I use a spf tinted moisturizer own top, no foundation.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Just a suggestion...Since your using a new retinol cream...I would start using the Rosehip Seed oil every other night at first to get your skin used to it. then you can incorporate it after the first wk. using nightly & then daily. The oil is also natures retinol! I do that with any new skin product.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Kabella for the advice on using the oil. I've been using Paula's Choice 1% retinol for over a year and I'm not seeing any considerable changes. So I've gotten a prescription for retin-A cream (.05%) and I plan on using this every other night like I did with the PC retinol. I feel my skin has become accustomed to the retinoids so my guess is I will probably do well with the rosehip oil using it like you said, every other night. Probably won't be using the oil during the day because of it's high vitamin A content as this can make the skin hyper-sensitive to the sun. I'm really looking forward to using the rosehip oil! I'll let you know when it arrives.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I follow Caroline Hirons, a UK beauty guru, who I absolutely love!  If you go to Caroline's home page (sorry I don't know how to copy) and under her topic of "Where to Spend Money in Your Routine" she is a big advocate of serums.  I love my serums and would rather spend money on them than a moisturizer.

Trusted Contributor

Thank all of you so very much for your opinions, suggestions and advice.  I'd rather get advice here than from any other beauty blog, all of you are honest, helpful and genuine.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@Quinny...I have tryed many serums which tend to dry my normal to dry skin. What I use as a serum is 100% cold pressed Rose Hipseed oil. So many benifits for the skin. It comes from the seeds of the Rose. Its a superstar for my skin! Rich in fatty acids & vitamins...Linoleic acids...antioxiatants. Vit.C...A...& E...Its natures serum. I put it on in the morning after cleansing on dry skin & then lightly message it into my skin & also at night. You may want to look at reviews of mature women who love it on youtube. .

Rose hip seed oil is my favorite oil. I've been using it for many years now and it is the only oil I keep reordering besides Paula's choice moisture boost oil. I use it on my nails/cuticles too and my eye lashes. It has made my lashes longer and keeps them from breaking like they used to. Plus I love the scent. My favorite brand is Shea terra organics. Although I love rhso, I still use a few serums because the oil does not contain all the ingredients I want. 

Honored Contributor

I am over 50 with very oily skin, and I do not use any serums right now. I have tried a few, but they all caused breakouts. Vitamin C serums were the worst for me causing tiny little itchy bumps. Like all other skin care it is trial and error to see what works for you and how your skin responds.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@SilleeMee Just a suggestion...Since your using a new retinol cream...I would start using the Rosehip Seed oil every other night at first to get your skin used to it. then you can incorporate it after the first wk. using nightly & then daily. The oil is also natures retinol! I do that with any new skin product.

@Kabella,

Just wanted to let you know that I received my rosehip oil the other day and used it for two nights. I know it's way too early to give any substantial review but I must say one thing...my skin is very soft and after using it, I find that I don't need a moisturizer. I love that part. Prematurely speaking, but I swear my skin feels a little firmer this morning Woman Very Happy Thanks again for your rec.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee. Your Welcome! Smiley Happy..So glad that you like it! Yes it also firms & the skin feels like silk!