Honored Contributor

Re: Do I NEED a Vit C Serum? I Like My Current Routine

@curlygirl13 

YIKES!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:

@SilleeMee , which vitamin C do you like?

@Dazlin 

My own creation using THD ascorbic acid. That is an oil form of the vitamin...absorbs easier and deeper, has a pH of about 6 and is very stable. Effective at strengths as low as 1%. I make mine a 10% concentration.

Looks like I'll be trying this, too. Devita just changed their formulation from L-ascorbic to the THD ascorbic. I wonder if there will be anything different I'll be able to detect. The study though, included L-ascorbic @ 10% and THD at 7%.

I don't know....I get so tired of "new & improved."

@SilleeMeeDid you ever use L-ascorbic? I kind of hate to give that up completely, although I use other antioxy topicals.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Yes, I used ascorbate for a very long time. I made a 20% concentration in my formulation. The problem with that type of VC is the instability of it. I had to put more 'stabilizers' in my serum than I do now with the THD. 

I  can always add ascorbate with the THD and what that does is enhance the overall effects from the vitamin. That's mainly why you see ascorbate plus THD together in one serum.  The THD will also help stabilize the ascorbate while it doesn't inhibit it by altering the pH. It's the pH of the THD is what I like the most b/c I can layer that with my tretinoin. THD is expensive when you compare it with the other forms of VC. For that reason most THD serums cost significantly more, especially ones with higher concentrations.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

So now my THD vitamin C will have to be converted to ascorbic, like my retinol at night also has to be converted!

Okay, I'll see how it goes!

But I think I'm going to try to get a formulation that has both Cs. I hope Devita responds to my query. Maybe this is the case with this new formula, and I don't know it yet.

Thanks, @SilleeMee !

Thanks, @monicakm  for raising the subject!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@SilleeMee 

So now my THD vitamin C will have to be converted to ascorbic, like my retinol at night also has to be converted!

Okay, I'll see how it goes!

But I think I'm going to try to get a formulation that has both Cs. I hope Devita responds to my query. Maybe this is the case with this new formula, and I don't know it yet.

Thanks, @SilleeMee !

Thanks, @monicakm  for raising the subject!

@Harpa 

Exactly. THD is an analogue so it goes thru a conversion. But here's the thing...THD is vastly more stable than ascorbate and since THD is an oil with a pH of about 6, that means it is more skin friendly and will absorb more deeply w/o irritation. THD works at concentrations as low as 1% where it reduces melanin synthesis. At 10% it eliminates age spots. Mine is a 10% THD.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ; @Harpa ..... y'all are way above my head LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SilleeMee ; @Harpa ..... y'all are way above my head LOL.

We're just chatting about the different forms of topical C. L-ascorbic may cause irritation to some (never did me) and the other forms have less or no risk.

I feel like the posters who've said they wouldn't give up their C, and neither would I want to. But there are lots of skin care things that have inherent vitamin C...like the rose hipe seed oil, and there are plenty of others.

The bottom line is no matter how you get it, how your skin can tolerate the different forms, vitamin C has been proven to be an effective skin care ingredient.