Honored Contributor

Re: Do Hairdressers Have Semi-Pernament Hair Color?

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Icegoddess  Semi-permanent color (Shades) covered my gray.  I did use permanent color at one time and found that the gray grew in at the same time so I stayed with the semi-permanent color and then did my own with Natural Instincts.  My hair is healthy now and Not dried out from amonia hair color.  Some women, in fact most, that have been using permanent color for a long time have very dry hair and it shows.  I no longer color my hair and love my salt & pepper color.  

The OP needs to speak to a professional about how she can turn her hair around.

@Katcat1, Maybe yes, maybe no.  That's up to her.  She asked me a question about what I used and about my comment about adding a neutral in for gray coverage and I answered her questions.  

As far as semi-permanent and gray coverage, even according to Clairol semi-permanent does not completely cover gray.  It's never worked for me and I do have very fine and porous hair:  https://www.clairolpro.com/inside-clairol-pro/demi-semi-permanent-faqs

IS IT POSSIBLE TO COVER GRAY 100% WITH A SEMI-PERMANENT COLOR?

It is possible only if the client’s hair is very fine and very porous. However, true semi-permanents will blend or highlight the gray hair only for a short amount of time. If longer and more complete coverage is desired, you should use a demi-permanent or permanent color.

Respected Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I am having a different problem, I put the semi perm over my GRAY and in a few washes it is gone.  I did not want to use a permanent color but i might have too.

Same for me......I think I am going to have to go with permanent. If I am having to color every 3 weeks I guess I will just bite that bullet.

I tried on wigs to judge the color. My complexion is just too yelow to put high lights on my very dark hair. I think I need a pro to help me on this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I am having a different problem, I put the semi perm over my GRAY and in a few washes it is gone.  I did not want to use a permanent color but i might have too.

Same for me......I think I am going to have to go with permanent. If I am having to color every 3 weeks I guess I will just bite that bullet.

I tried on wigs to judge the color. My complexion is just too yelow to put high lights on my very dark hair. I think I need a pro to help me on this. 

@granddi , @Happiness Is Inside JOB , you might look into demi-permanent before making the switch to permanent.  Like Semi-permanent it has no Ammonia, but unlike Semi-permanent it has a litle peroxide which lifts the cuticle ever so slightly to allow the color to penetrate hair resulting in a longer lasting color.  It is still considered a deposit-only color.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone.......I did not know there was a difference in Demi- and Semi--Permanent hair coloring. 

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@granddi , @Happiness Is Inside JOB , you might look into demi-permanent before making the switch to permanent.  Like Semi-permanent it has no Ammonia, but unlike Semi-permanent it has a litle peroxide which lifts the cuticle ever so slightly to allow the color to penetrate hair resulting in a longer lasting color.  It is still considered a deposit-only color.

Thanks

I have never heard of demi permanent ...Will have to Google

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!