Honored Contributor

Re: Do Hairdressers Have Semi-Pernament Hair Color?

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@cuddlesmama  There is a product called Shades and it is semi permanent.  It gives beautiful shine and does not dry the hair out.  I used it for a few years and then did my own with Natural Instincts.  You probably only need to color your roots and placing the color on top of hair that is not gray will make it darker.  The beauty salon can also lift the color.  Make sure you get prices for whatever you decide to do.

No, they won't.  As someone mentioned you can use a product like Color OOPs or whatever was mentioned above meant to remove hair color, but it's kinda harsh.  I know my hairdresser wouldn't use something like that on me when I ended up with too dark a color from the school (she owns a Redken school).  But, you can't lift color by using a different color or bleach.  

For grays you do need permanent color.  In fact, you need a different formulation than you would for non-gray hair.  I have been coloring with permanent color for years.  When I first started going gray I just let it look like highlights, but as more gray came in I wanted more of the color I was coloring rather than more highlights so I had to add a neutral to my formulation.  You need 50% neutral to cover gray.  

Also, semipermanent is what is recommended for the length when doing root touchups so as not to damage the hair further, so yes, salons will have semipermanent color.  

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hairdressers can and do remove artificial color from the hair,  I have done this 40 years ago.  It's not a new thing. Effasol is very good product.  It should be used by a professional only.

Most hairdressers only work with permanent colors, unless it is a neon party color.

Semi-permanent color coats the hair shaft and stains the cuticle.  Permanent color lifts the cuticle and can lift ( lighten) or deposit color.  Once permanent color is deposited, it will not need to be recolored over and over again.  You only have to color the regrowth.  With a semi-permanent color, you apply color cover and over again.  

Semi-permanent color can be very drying to your hair and leave it dull, especially if you are covering gray.  It is really not meant for covering a lot gray hair, so you are correct in choosing a permanent color.

In the long run, permanent color with regrowth rough-ups is much milder on your hair than semi-permanent if you color on a regular basis or are covering up grays.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@cuddlesmama  There is a product called Shades and it is semi permanent.  It gives beautiful shine and does not dry the hair out.  I used it for a few years and then did my own with Natural Instincts.  You probably only need to color your roots and placing the color on top of hair that is not gray will make it darker.  The beauty salon can also lift the color.  Make sure you get prices for whatever you decide to do.

No, they won't.  As someone mentioned you can use a product like Color OOPs or whatever was mentioned above meant to remove hair color, but it's kinda harsh.  I know my hairdresser wouldn't use something like that on me when I ended up with too dark a color from the school (she owns a Redken school).  But, you can't lift color by using a different color or bleach.  

For grays you do need permanent color.  In fact, you need a different formulation than you would for non-gray hair.  I have been coloring with permanent color for years.  When I first started going gray I just let it look like highlights, but as more gray came in I wanted more of the color I was coloring rather than more highlights so I had to add a neutral to my formulation.  You need 50% neutral to cover gray.  

Also, semipermanent is what is recommended for the length when doing root touchups so as not to damage the hair further, so yes, salons will have semipermanent color.  

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hairdressers can and do remove artificial color from the hair,  I have done this 40 years ago.  It's not a new thing. Effasol is very good product.  It should be used by a professional only.

Most hairdressers only work with permanent colors, unless it is a neon party color.

Semi-permanent color coats the hair shaft and stains the cuticle.  Permanent color lifts the cuticle and can lift ( lighten) or deposit color.  Once permanent color is deposited, it will not need to be recolored over and over again.  You only have to color the regrowth.  With a semi-permanent color, you apply color cover and over again.  

Semi-permanent color can be very drying to your hair and leave it dull, especially if you are covering gray.  It is really not meant for covering a lot gray hair, so you are correct in choosing a permanent color.

In the long run, permanent color with regrowth rough-ups is much milder on your hair than semi-permanent if you color on a regular basis or are covering up grays.

Demi-permanent is what I meant instead of semi-permanent.  I get those 2 confused all the time.  @cuddlesmama, I use Goldwell.  I color red, so only doing the root touchup is not an option.  Reds fade terribly.  Anyways, the Goldwell Color Manual recommends using a demi permanent on the previously colored hair IF NEEDED.  If your color doesn't fade then you don't need to do anything but your regrowth.

Also, like I said, I mix shades, so for gray coverage 50% of my formula is a neutral.  In the Goldwell line that would be a number (which is a level, how light the color is) + an N or NN.  N is a regular neutral, NN is for more resistant gray hair.  For example, if you want to color your hair 5RB (which would be a level 5 Red Brown) and you need gray coverage, 1/2 of your formula would be 5N or 5NN and the other half 5RB. Below are the exact instructions from the Goldwell manual.  I would expect the procedures to be similar for other color lines.

RETOUCH APPLICATION: GREY HAIR, SAME LEVEL, OR DARKER

1. Section hair into quadrants.

2. Apply color to the regrowth. When working on grey hair, start at the greyest or most resistant areas of the hair.

3. Process for 30 minutes. 20 minutes with heat — OPEN AIR SYSTEM ONLY.

4. Colorance Demi-Permanent hair color should be applied to the previously colored hair, (mid-lengths and ends) following the Color Balancing service instructions
    (see Chapter 14). Colorance Color Balancing provides optimum vibrance and color without further cuticular stress to the hair. If Colorance is not available, and the mid- lengths and ends need refreshing, mix a separate formula using 10 volume Topchic Lotion and the target color. This formula should be applied to the mid-lengths and ends for the last 10–15 minutes of processing.

5. After processing, add water and work color into a lather. Working the color around the hairline will help prevent staining of the skin.

6. Rinsethoroughly.

7. Shampoo with Goldwell DualSenses Fade Stop shampoo for color-treated hair. Rinse

thoroughly and lightly towel blot.

8. Apply Goldwell DualSenses Detangling conditioner specifically for color-treated hair. Follow with DualSenses Color Lock serum. A Goldwell leave in conditioner for color- treated hair is recommended.

9. Rinse, dry and style (no rinsing necessary if a leave-in conditioner is used).

* This formula should be prepared in advance when regrowth formula is mixed, but applied to mid-lengths and ends for only the last 10–15 minutes.

And the instructions from Chapter 14 referenced in step 4:

COLOR BALANCING KEEPS TARGET COLORS TRUE.
1. Apply Topchic permanent hair color to the regrowth and begin timing. Processing

time for Topchic is 30 minutes, except for the HighLift Series, which is 45 minutes.

2. Approximately halfway through the processing time, apply DualSenses Structure Equalizer Spray midshaft to ends then apply the target Colorance shade to mid-shaft and ends. Be sure to time the application of Colorance so that it will be finished processing at the same time as Topchic. As an average, Colorance should be applied when there are 15 minutes remaining of the Topchic processing time.

3. When processing is complete, lightly rinse the hair and gently work into a lather. Rinse, then condition with DualSenses Detangling conditioner for color treated hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

The new version of Natural Instincts IS NOT the same as the older version of Natural Instincts. The product has been reformulated earlier this year similar to what Clairol did with their Nice 'n Easy permanent hair color a year and a half ago. The new version of Natural Instincts is in the green and white box. The brand didn't just have a package makeover but they also reformulated the product inside the box.

There are lots of complaints about the newer version of Natural Instincts on Clairol's facebook page - you don't have to have a facebook account to read their public page including product reviews.

I figured since Clairol botched, IMO, the Nice 'n Easy hair color reformulation that they would also botch the Natural Instincts reformulation too and I bought up the old formula since that's what I use - shade 4 dark brown in Natural Instincts to color my husband's hair.

Some stores still have the old formula but some stores cleared off the shelves so they wouldn't stock both the new and old formulas. I'll guess that the older formula boxes will end up at dollar stores eventually.

You should contact Clairol's customer service hotline for help and register your complaint about their new hair color.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

@cuddlesmama 

The new version of Natural Instincts IS NOT the same as the older version of Natural Instincts. The product has been reformulated earlier this year similar to what Clairol did with their Nice 'n Easy permanent hair color a year and a half ago. The new version of Natural Instincts is in the green and white box. The brand didn't just have a package makeover but they also reformulated the product inside the box.

There are lots of complaints about the newer version of Natural Instincts on Clairol's facebook page - you don't have to have a facebook account to read their public page including product reviews.

I figured since Clairol botched, IMO, the Nice 'n Easy hair color reformulation that they would also botch the Natural Instincts reformulation too and I bought up the old formula since that's what I use - shade 4 dark brown in Natural Instincts to color my husband's hair.

Some stores still have the old formula but some stores cleared off the shelves so they wouldn't stock both the new and old formulas. I'll guess that the older formula boxes will end up at dollar stores eventually.

You should contact Clairol's customer service hotline for help and register your complaint about their new hair color.

Thanks for your reply. I thought something was off when the color was so much darker. I will contact the company and voice my concern. Thanks again

Respected Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I use natural instincts too. If you want to get rid of the color use Dawn dish soap. It will take the color out.

Thank you I will try it.

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@cuddlesmama If you get any brand of clarifying shampoo that will

begin to lighten and take out the hair color after just a few times 

of shampooing. You won't have to wait a full month.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Is this product made by Redkin?

@Katcat1 wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama 

Blogger Jill Cataldo has a post about the Natural Instincts hair color formula change and photos of the new and old boxes. She went and bought up as many old formula boxes as she could which she discusses in her blog. She ended up buying 50 boxes of the old formula in her various shades of brown that she uses.

Her blog post link:

https://jillcataldo.com/stock-up-on-old-natural-instincts-haircolor-theyve-changed-formula/

That is what I have done also since I color my husband's hair for him with Natural Instincts in 4 Dark Brown - the old formula. I bought 13 boxes as I color his hair once a month.

My experience with Clairol when they reformulated Nice 'n Easy was similar, the new formula did not cover gray well, it stunk and left a ghastly floral scent that would not was out and it left my hair dried out. I knew the new formula was bad and bought up every old box of haircolor I could get my hands on, I think I had 22 boxes of the old formula in shades 5 medium brown and 5N medium neutral brown as I mix shades and use a half box to do root touchups.

Honored Contributor

Since semi-permanent color washes out after X number of washings, I would never use something to remove it like Color Oops because that's hard on the hair.  Besides Dawn you can get Prell and that will also remove color.

A number of years ago, I went to a new salon to have my hair colored and the girl left the color on way too long and my hair was black.  I went back the next day and she used a professional product to strip my color. After that she did a deep conditioning treatment because it was so drying to my hair and she sent me home with deep conditioner as well.  

I have always been told by my hairdresser that color doesn't lift color, only bleach will lift color.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  Semi-permanent color (Shades) covered my gray.  I did use permanent color at one time and found that the gray grew in at the same time so I stayed with the semi-permanent color and then did my own with Natural Instincts.  My hair is healthy now and Not dried out from amonia hair color.  Some women, in fact most, that have been using permanent color for a long time have very dry hair and it shows.  I no longer color my hair and love my salt & pepper color.  

The OP needs to speak to a professional about how she can turn her hair around.

kindness is strength