Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Any of You use a Stick Foundation?

Here's how I apply my Bobbi Brown foundation stick: I swipe it across my forehead once or twice, one across my chin and two or three times across my face. I use a makeup sponge and blend it all over my face and down my neck. It actually only takes a minute. I've not had the best luck with brushes so once I found this method I've stuck with it. Bobbi Brown usually demoed with either using her fingers or her brushes.  The sponge works the fastes for me.  

Respected Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Based on your good review of the product @suzyQ3, I bought it. I never liked liquid or stick foundation. Until this one. It's light, non greasy and feels silky on the skin. I use it almost as a concealer,  just on spots that need a bit of coverage. I was color matched at ULTA and they did a great job.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've received so many good recs from several on this forum.  @suzyQ3 is certainly right up there with others-- & I trust her.  If I recall she likes a lighter foundation, just like @HappyDaze. Thanks for adding to this @Ms tyrion2.  Once I get rid of my excess, I may just have to check it out at Ulta, only a few blocks away.  You make it sound almost irresistable.. lol.

@Funloving  I have been wanting to try a stick foundation also. I thought about the Tarte TSV but I didn’t. I’m also curious about the Kristopher Buckle kit. I just need to get one and try and see if I like it. 

Respected Contributor

CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Ever since I started using A Beauty Blender Sponge with my foundation(Laura Mercier), I love it......1st of all I use way less foundation and it blends in seamlessly and looks great, not cakey at all. I love the result from using this sponge damp.....I also use one for my finishing powder and it is great as well.......So maybe try something like that, it may not be your foundation, but the technique or application!

Exactly @CANDLEQUEEN- For creme foundations, which I'd think a stick is closest to, I always use a damp beauty blender type sponge.. actually the Real Techniques version.  I will give it a try that way.  I have super dry skin and didn't want to try it this morning due to moisturizing first before in-studio work.  Depending on formulas, technique is everything!!  I absolutely love a gift I received for liquid foundation.... the duo palm sized Artis from the mirrored finish Elite collection.   Beyond flawless!!!

Respected Contributor

I just saw that NARS has a new stick.

Respected Contributor

@FunlovingHeart Hello my Sweet FriendHeart

I have used Bobbi Brown's stick foundation but found it drying. When it comes to stick foundation I apply it to a sponge. The same thing with stick blush but I use clean fingers.

I don't like to apply directly to my face because I feel it keeps it more germ-free using a sponge or fingers (clean on both). I never reuse a sponge without washing it first. So I buy in bulk size at Sallys.

Trusted Contributor

@santorini wrote:

I am using Kristofer Buckle stick foundation and I love it.  It feels very light but has great coverage.

Good to hear that! I'm on the waitlist for my shade. 

Regular Contributor

Highly recommend 2 brands. I love using the Wander Beauty stick foundation! It's very creamy and blends nicely. Stays put all day. No parabens or talc. Also, I have Kristofer Buckle stick foundation and love this one as well. It's creamy, not quite as creamy as Wander, but blends into your skin nicely and also stays put.

Trusted Contributor

I have dry ski and use Doll 10 in light and it’s a neutral shade. I have light- medium skin tone. 

Philosophy is another one that I also use,nut it’s a liquid foundation. It’s nice for dry skin. 

Valued Contributor

I use a little pot foundation with the consistency of a stick foundation. It is the RMS Beauty Un Cover-Up concealer/foundation. The color I use is 11 which is the second lightest color. The pot looks very small, but in reality lasts a long time.

This is my routine for my 60 year old combo and sensitive skin:

After my serum, I use the Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer

Then, using my ring finger, I pat on the RMS under my eyes, a few places in the lower center of my forehead just above my nose 

Swipe some more on and around my nose and my cheeks close to my nose and more swipes on my chin

I blend all of these swipes and pats with an Artis #6 oval brush. I add a few more pats of the RMS product where needed and blend. For those of you who don’t know this brush, it is very dense. Then, I swipe a few dots of cream blush onto my cheekbones and use the same Artis brush to blend this in.

I only use the RMS product where needed...not all over my face. I have some pink coloration, just in the center of my face, so that’s where I use this foundation. It looks very light in the pot but blends in with my skin tone perfectly.

I take a small fluffy brush and brush on some Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder over the foundation I used under my eye, and around inner eye/nose area. Then a large fluffy brush and brush Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder (the one with a slight tint to it) over the rest of my face.

I apply whatever eye shadow combination, eyebrow pencil and mascara I’m using for the day, and then spray the Kate Summerville UncomliKated SPS 50 Setting Spray over my face.  Do the spray before you put on your top as there is a little fall out onto your clothes otherwise.

The result is skin that looks very natural, not dry and powdery, not oily...my freckles still show which is fine with me.

During the day, I probably blot my oily areas a few times with blotting sheets (I use the blue generic ones from either Target or Walmart).

Esteemed Contributor

I admit openly to using a variety of foundation formulas and brands, but a stick foundation can be a marvelous addition to a foundation wardrobe, or the only one required if you want a versatile single option. 

I think a stick is easy to handle for most people.  As with any foundation it can be applied heavier or lighter.  I love the versatility of traveling with a stick foundation instead of liquids and loose powders; not to mention how easy a stick is to have tucked in a purse pocket.  Formulas vary across the brands. I personally like the stick to be creamy, but light texured. 

My love affair with the stick began with Bobbi Brown's.  The Stick was the first foundation inroduced to the line when it expanded from being lipstick only to including more color products (early 90s).  The formula has changed sinc ethen and I actually like the new formula better than the original (not as thick). Other Stick foundations I like are: Maybelline's Fit Me Stick; Tarte's Amazonian Clay Stick Foundation.  Sadly my favorite stick-- Napoleon Perdis is no longer available in the United States.