Valued Contributor

Distrusting before and after photos on QVC?

I've tried a few beauty products and whitening products from QVC.  Since I watch all the time, I've come to really like and trust certain hosts and while they are in the sales business, I have a tendency to trust when they say they love a product.  In my opinion, the products I've bought after being wow'd by the before and after pics, have me wondering photso-shopping and dishonest pics. My husband is in graphic arts and i know of several programs he uses to "change" pictures. This has to common practice with some of these companies with skin care and teeth whitening as I am not seeing the results shown on tv.  Nowhere even close.  I should know better but feel like these results would be expected from an infomercial as opposed to what I used to trust with QVC products.  Sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Distrusting before and after photos on QVC?

I agree with you @Natureluvr.  I make changes myself to pictures.  With all the great and not so  great software out there it has become easier and easier to do it. My friends just love it when I  "change" pictures of them.  And also I will add LIGHTING MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.  And you might also notice some of the shots are smiling (after ones).  So many subtle tricks.  

It is in their best interest to do so.  Went to have something taken off my arm, long story, ended up in a plastic surgeons office.  And because I was a patient I got invited to HIS PARTIES of clients(for a lack of a better word).  We got into lots of discussions and the bottom line.  It takes more than A PRODUCT to make a difference.  

Honored Contributor

@NatureluvrMaybe it helps if you have HD, but I never see enough difference in before and afters so that I expect major changes.  Even though I know we say a picture is worth 1000 words, I find the words more important than those pictures -  and when I listen closely, every host and vendor seems to say the same thing -   REDUCES the APPEARANCE of FINE LINES....  

I certainly have those and yes, lots of products do reduce the appearance of them, but they do not go away.  Further, what really makes my face show its age and the damage I've encouraged over the years with sun and yo-yo dieting wouldn't disappear with any product, not even with major surgery.

Too bad I can't go back and live my life knowing what I know now about skincare, but I do feel that using the products I do has retarded the increase in problems.  I wouldn't want to see me now if I hadn't started to follow some of the suggestions of the skin scientists when I turned 60.  I just try to be realistic. Even the most beautiful women in my age group (75+) do not look like they're all that much younger -  and that's okay.

Honored Contributor

I dont trust any before and after pictures on any website.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@NatureluvrMaybe it helps if you have HD, but I never see enough difference in before and afters so that I expect major changes.  Even though I know we say a picture is worth 1000 words, I find the words more important than those pictures -  and when I listen closely, every host and vendor seems to say the same thing -   REDUCES the APPEARANCE of FINE LINES....  

I certainly have those and yes, lots of products do reduce the appearance of them, but they do not go away.  Further, what really makes my face show its age and the damage I've encouraged over the years with sun and yo-yo dieting wouldn't disappear with any product, not even with major surgery.

Too bad I can't go back and live my life knowing what I know now about skincare, but I do feel that using the products I do has retarded the increase in problems.  I wouldn't want to see me now if I hadn't started to follow some of the suggestions of the skin scientists when I turned 60.  I just try to be realistic. Even the most beautiful women in my age group (75+) do not look like they're all that much younger -  and that's okay.

@millieshops  I totally agree with this [bolded] part. In fact, I do not think QVC (via the vendors) deceive with the photos at all.  Can you imagine the huge fallout if that ever got leaked?  No, I do not believe that.

What I do frequently see are photos that show either no discernible change at all, or very little change.  Yet the hosts and vendors nearly jump out of their shoes in excitement because of the dramatic, incredible, mind-blowing results!  That, I see often. 

Don't get me started about consumer surveys.  It is psychologically proven that if you are selected for what you are told is an important task (i.e., product surveys), you are more apt to want to please & agree.  So results are almost always skewed favorable, even highly favorable.  Always look for clinical study results instead.

Honored Contributor

There are laws in place that disallow photoshopping of before and after pictures to sell products.  I am sure that there are companies who do it anyway, but I can't even begin to think that QVC would do this.

If they were caught, they old lose all integrity and too many customers, plus they would have to pay heavy fines.  It would be all over the media.  I do not for a second believe that QVC does this.

Under every picture there is a caption that says something to the effect that results vary and the results shown may not be typical.  I am sure the pictures of the best results are shown.

Come on now, does anyone really think there are miracle beauty  products sold on TV?  I sure don't.

Honored Contributor

@bonnieluAnd even the plastic surgeons sell snake oil!  Theirs is just a different product, but they're still selling -  especially those who run the parties. 

But the doctors can do things lotions and potions will never do, some of the sagging and deep wrinkles from gravity give in only to injections and or surgery. 

But what I seldom see here on the Forums is that even once you've undergone work with a doctor,  you still need potions and lotions.  Maybe not the same as before, but there's no one I know in my age group that doesn't at least moisturize regularly -  and many have had various medical procedures.

Honored Contributor

I rarely judge a beauty product based on photos. I'd rather read what experienced customers have to say about it before making my decisions. Any single photo can look different to various people. Not everyone sees the same thing in a photo. Sometimes you see what you want to see.

Honored Contributor

I dont trust them on any of the shopping channels. Sometimes you can easily tell the nose is different or the eyes etc. They should only show honest before and after pics!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

It usually takes a vivid imagination to perceive any difference in those "after" photos, certain not enough to justify the high price tags they stick on some of the "miracle" preparations.  After photos would never convince me to buy anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment