Honored Contributor

Re: Discriptive words and phrases used during beauty product presentations

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Elemis vendor called it HEAVEN IN A JAR...

Josie Marian calls her Argan oil MAGICAL ....Elixir 

OTHER WORDS TO SELL PRODUCT ARE:

beautiful, effective, firming, flawless, glowy, healthy-looking, hydrating, illuminating, invigorating, luminous, luxurious, nourishing, miraculous, plumping, radiant, refreshing, rejuvenating, replenishing, silky smooth, vibrant, volumizing, wonderful, youthful

The magic words are the classic, powerful slogans and adjectives that color all beauty advertisements and conjure up images of wonderful skin transformations and the promise of perfect beauty. These are the words that sell.

However, I also think that we, as consumers, should be aware of their use as well as their manipulative power.

@SeaMaiden   The biggest offender to me is “anti-aging”. We’re all going to age. Call the product moisturizing, may help “appearance of lines”, but misleading statements sell their lines. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@sidsmom I don't like the emotions they are appealing to.

They show ads with 13 year olds selling Youth Code or somesuch product. (Or a heavily filtered and altered and possibly plastic surgeried celebrity.)

What emotion is that supposed to evoke in the average middle aged or older person who is the target market? Envy, jealousy, inadequacy, despair? With a tiny dash of hope. YUCK. Woman Mad

@Porcelain 

Hope can be positive.  

Just think ‘180’.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Elemis vendor called it HEAVEN IN A JAR...

Josie Marian calls her Argan oil MAGICAL ....Elixir 

OTHER WORDS TO SELL PRODUCT ARE:

beautiful, effective, firming, flawless, glowy, healthy-looking, hydrating, illuminating, invigorating, luminous, luxurious, nourishing, miraculous, plumping, radiant, refreshing, rejuvenating, replenishing, silky smooth, vibrant, volumizing, wonderful, youthful

The magic words are the classic, powerful slogans and adjectives that color all beauty advertisements and conjure up images of wonderful skin transformations and the promise of perfect beauty. These are the words that sell.

However, I also think that we, as consumers, should be aware of their use as well as their manipulative power.

@SeaMaiden   The biggest offender to me is “anti-aging”. We’re all going to age. Call the product moisturizing, may help “appearance of lines”, but misleading statements sell their lines. 

We are all aging now! The only ones who aren't are dead. Anything to make a sale...

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch and I don't buy.  I agree, using the term "anti-aging" is a huge turn-off for me.  I want to know if a product promotes healthy skin, if it's actually good for my skin.  If we keep our skin healthy and happy, we may appear more youthful.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I do not mind the term anti-aging.  I'll do anything to slow down the process!  Yes aging happens but we can make the most of it, there is so much technology, science and nature to make us look so much younger than we are with softer smoother skin than a generation ago could have. It's a great thing.

Respected Contributor

What really bothers me are the skin care vendors who have obviously had lots of work done and are touting the great benefits of their lines. No thanks.

Honored Contributor

I can tell you one thing, for as much as they charge, the vendor and host need to give me more information before I would spend my money. Cat Wink 

kindness is strength
Occasional Contributor

My skin with all the expensive products is still wrinkling more and more and the darkness under my eyes is getting darker. The “sunspots” are also multiplying. Maybe I’ve slowed down my Mothers DNA or the sun effects on my fair skin, but not so much!