Respected Contributor

Re: Discriptive words and phrases used during beauty product presentations

Sidsmom, you are correct.
Respected Contributor

All of these fabulous, amazing products that are going to give us that lit within look are OTC products! They can't perform the miracles that the vendors claim. I do believe that if someone has neglected their skin, then they will see the best resutls from using a better skincare line. For those who have good skin, the results will be less dramatic. Skin damage takes years to show up so it's not going to disappear in a week.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom I don't like the emotions they are appealing to.

They show ads with 13 year olds selling Youth Code or somesuch product. (Or a heavily filtered and altered and possibly plastic surgeried celebrity.)

What emotion is that supposed to evoke in the average middle aged or older person who is the target market? Envy, jealousy, inadequacy, despair? With a tiny dash of hope. YUCK. Woman Mad

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

Don't forget the "juicy" skin you will get from using argan oil.

Respected Contributor

I break out if I use oils on my face because I do have oily, acne prone skin. Still.....after all these years.
Honored Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

Don't forget the "juicy" skin you will get from using argan oil.

@D Kay

I try to avoid beauty shows ... and when these products show up on "fashion" shows ... some of the vendor remarks are really gross and creepy. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

"I find all QVCUS product presentations very hard hitting and aggressive. Everything is a superlative. So I don't fault the Elemis rep here in any way; no doubt she is required to sell hard. I discovered this line on QVCUK and I doubt I would have paid any attention at all, if not for the relaxed, funny and informative presentations. They do hands-on facials on-air and I feel the effects watching it on TV!  Of course they are still selling, but the focus of this brand is its Spa-like virtues. I don't think I would have purchased this line watching the US presentations." 

I just posted the above on an Elemis thread and then came across this thread. If you look on QVCUK at the Elemis or Decleor videos, you will see a very different sort of presentation - a spa demonstration, information on what is best for your skin, how to apply, how products work together, what to avoid, and best of all, a friendliness between the QVC host, the model, and the product rep. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden, Your post captures it all.  And I love the calls on air when women report how they are always taken for so many years younger than they are.  Yes, 10 or 20 years gone by using the brand of skincare being promoted.  Pure magic?  If that were really true, I would take a bath in the product.  

Honored Contributor

I think most of the QVC shows are lacking in really telling us "how" to use the products.  They say use from thinnest to thickest, but then pretty soon they add another serum or this or that and don't really tell us how to use the items or if we use XX every night and then they bring in XXX do  we layer them or rotate them to twice a week, etc.    I will say I dislike that photo screen they use when they slide across the before/after photos.  To me there is no difference or the "before" looks better.

Respected Contributor

I must add I don't come here to find clicks. Its not my purpose here. I come here for information on the products that work. Many people, Many opinions. Sometimes I need help. Sometimes I can give advice and hope it helps. We always have to consider skin types because we are all different in that area.