Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Discriptive words and phrases used during beauty product presentations

Elemis vendor called it HEAVEN IN A JAR...

Josie Marian calls her Argan oil MAGICAL ....Elixir 

OTHER WORDS TO SELL PRODUCT ARE:

beautiful, effective, firming, flawless, glowy, healthy-looking, hydrating, illuminating, invigorating, luminous, luxurious, nourishing, miraculous, plumping, radiant, refreshing, rejuvenating, replenishing, silky smooth, vibrant, volumizing, wonderful, youthful

The magic words are the classic, powerful slogans and adjectives that color all beauty advertisements and conjure up images of wonderful skin transformations and the promise of perfect beauty. These are the words that sell.

However, I also think that we, as consumers, should be aware of their use as well as their manipulative power.

Honored Contributor

Re: Discriptive words and phrases used during beauty product presentations

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Elemis vendor called it HEAVEN IN A JAR...

Josie Marian calls her Argan oil MAGICAL ....Elixir 

OTHER WORDS TO SELL PRODUCT ARE:

beautiful, effective, firming, flawless, glowy, healthy-looking, hydrating, illuminating, invigorating, luminous, luxurious, nourishing, miraculous, plumping, radiant, refreshing, rejuvenating, replenishing, silky smooth, vibrant, volumizing, wonderful, youthful

The magic words are the classic, powerful slogans and adjectives that color all beauty advertisements and conjure up images of wonderful skin transformations and the promise of perfect beauty. These are the words that sell.

However, I also think that we, as consumers, should be aware of their use as well as their manipulative power.

They all do this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

It's all fluff to me...meaningless without explanation. If they could talk about the ingredients in their products and how they work...now we're talkin'.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler: it’s called a.d.v.e.r.t.i.s.i.n.g.

It’s everywhere.....

for everything....

targeting everyone. 

We’re just now figuring this out?

Honored Contributor

Totally agree. They could use those exact same phrases to sell us cooking oil as a moisturizer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

You're absolutely correct @sidsmom .  Every educated consumer should take just one marketing class.  Many here might find it very informative. 

Respected Contributor

They've gotta fill the on air time with something.  I do have to say there are some beauty products I use that make my skin look "glowy", as well as some of the other words mentioned. I do not have a scientific term for it but it's a true and an accurate description. So not everthing needs to be described with results in clinical studies or something.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with @SilleeMee too. They tell us the what. But not the how. Okay so this stuff is going to plumpen and hydrate me make me glow like a goddess yadda yadda bla bla bla. Okay so how? It's not believable if they can't or won't explain it.

It's like a friend who is flakey about scheduling. After a few times of no shows or half hour lates or I got losts, you start to need more specifics from them before you're willing to show up again at a coffee shop to see them. Skincare has a track record issue. A lot of us have been burned (not literally!) by useless skincare. No specifics, no point in wasting my time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

You're absolutely correct @sidsmom .  Every educated consumer should take just one marketing class.  Many here might find it very informative. 

There is no need to take a class to be an educated consumer. There are hundreds of books on the subject of selling and marketing. They are worth the read!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's all fluff to me...meaningless without explanation. If they could talk about the ingredients in their products and how they work...now we're talkin'.

But Humans buy with emotion.

Like the saying goes,

’‘Do you really want to know how sausage is made??

Plus...people like community.  That’s why all the ‘groups’ associated

with WEN, vitamins, makeup lines, Temptations, to name a few...

makes one feel like they’re part of a club/community of like-minded folks. 

Truth be told, these products are no better (or at ALL effective/vitamins)

than those sold at the local drugstore/market.