Respected Contributor

Re: Discovered the most GORGEOUS nail polish this weekend!

I shouldn't read it either. I've stopped wearing polish as my usually good nails were awful when I was taking Prilosec. I stopped it (oh, man, that was bad but it was making me depressed and thinning hair as well) My nails are JUST starting to recover and Josie Maran Argan Oil has absolutely helped them beyond belief.

So now I'm thinking "POLISH"--and these bottles look very tempting.

I like the tiny OPI bottles because you can use an odd color up and not have a huge amount of it in the vanity drawer. They are hard to open, however. 

Honored Contributor

FYI Looks as though this brand is lacquer not polish.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 This from an international nail expert who I've had the priviledge of corresponding with and whose knowledge I totally respect:

"Nail polish = Varnish = Enamel = Lacquer: Each of these are just marketing names for the same type of product and the same type of ingredients. Not that all nail polishes are the same, they are NOT. But they sure aren't as different as the names suggest.

Nail polishes have made advancements over the years, but they are basically the same as when they were first discovered in the 40's and the chemistry hasn't changed either for 80 years.

Whatever you call them, doesn't make a difference to the ingredients or how the product is used. I refer to them all as nail polish, of course you can call them any of the names above and you will be just as correct... and this is true no matter how many XYZ-free they claim to be. They are all just as safe as another and none are safer." (from Doug Schoon's Facebook page)

Doug is a research scientist/chemist who has spent his life as a researcher and product developer in the beauty, cosmetic and personal care industry (with a focus on nails). One of his primary concerns is proper education and safe use of products...and he is a stickler on using proper terminology.

Super Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Is it 3, 4 or 5 Free, thanks??

Shelbelle, 5 free according to the Smith and Cult website. Also, this line was started by the founder of Hard Candy.

Contributor

Smith & Cult Ghost Edit is a FABULOUS color and I have one of their darker colors which is also beautiful.  My manicurist tells me they are great quality and I have found that to be the case.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry...it might be pretty, but I don't do $18.00 a bottle nail polish.