Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

For the last few years, I've had my shoulder length hair smoothed twice a year, and loved the results.  I also have it colored.  It's fine, but healthy and pretty easy care.

However, I recently saw an older photo of me with my glorious curls, and thought I'd try to stop smoothing.

Sadly, I'm already discouraged.  My stylist did add layers so it would start to form curls as the smoothing grew out. 

Ugh....all I have is frizzy chunks that reveal "bald spots" if I'm not careful.  I have to spend 15 minutes arranging my hair so you cannot seem my scalp! Cat LOL

Here's the reality.  My beautiful curls were when I was in my 30s -- I'm 68 now.  My hair and curls have changed and feel like an unmanageble mess.  Especially since summer in Southern Maryland is humid most days.

And, yes, I've tried many, many anti-frizz products in my years.  None worked.  Not one.  I deep condition and use great products, but nothing....NOTHING keeps the frizz at bay.

I'm not sure I can make it through the summer with hair that resembles cotton candy.

Thanks for letting me vent Cat Very Happy

@Witchy Woman   I get it as a fellow Curly Girl. My only advice is to do a modified Curly Girl method. I try to stay away from silicone products (in many anti-frizz and curl specific styling products), sulfates and anything drying. I changed to a satin pillowcase to reduce friction, a microfiber turbie twist towel to remove most of the moisture before styling and less frequent shampooing. The biggie is deciding whether to wear your mane curly or not. If you prefer your curls and want to get them back in good condition, you need to lay off daily curling irons, flat ions or other heat tools. Second day hair for me is a DIY spray bottle of water with several drops of daily conditioner and scrunching. Sympathy from humid NC.

***Any slightly “bare spots”, I cover w/ Joan River’s Good Hair Day (powder compact w/ brush in a matching hair color). It stays on until the next shampoo. Also ask your stylist to go easy on the layers around those areas. Enjoy your curls. Others with straight hair always want what we have and vice versa.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Witchy Woman If I don't put a fat nickle size of Wen in the top half of my hair and another in the bottom half of my hair, I'd be slightly frizzy.  I do, however, use regular shampoo and conditioner (Aveda).

@ECBG   Although Moroccanoil S&C does have silicones, I alternate that with silicone free formulas...especially in summer humidity, it helps tame the fizzies. I just make sure to use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks. I like Aveda Brilliante. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, witchywoman, those are the products!

Good to know there is a sale going pn at Pureology too! I get the items wholesale because of my professional license, but 25% off is as low as I have seen authentic retail products.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  - I agree with the posters that mentioned covering up any bald spots.  This product by Joan Rivers is very easy to use with great results.  It's waterproof and lasts all day.  I use it on my eyebrows and love it. 

Joan Rivers Beauty Great Hair Day Fill-In Powder with Brush - A78804

A78804
Joan Rivers Beauty Great Hair Day Fill-In Powder with Brush
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@laraffinee 

I've used Pureology products in the past, but that line is new to me.

I see that the Pureology site has the shampoo, conditioner and Care Infusion as a threesome.  Is that the product you use -- it's in a tube.  It's $93 for the set, but they have 25% off right now.  I might give it a try.

Curl Control Product Set

Just be advised, if you do follow a Curly Girl Method, Pureology products contain silicones.  Or, at least the Hydrate line does.  Matrix has a line of products that at least some of which does not have silicones called Matrix Raw.  

Respected Contributor

After years of straightening,  it is going to take some time to grow out the damage so that your curls can reform. It might take 6 months or more before your hair reverts back to it's natural state.

Don't give up. Regular trims and following the Curly Girl method will work.

Avoid silicones at all cost while your hair is trying to recover.  Bury your curling irons and straighteners waaay back in the closet. Get a lot of moisture into your hair and check out YouTube for some ideas for styling products.

Good luck!